Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84, paint or stain?

I am into the cabinet restoration of my Philco 84. It seems there are 3 differrent tones/stains on this canibet. It is currently stripped down. The trim and grooves (face) almost seem to be done in black paint? Does anyone know if this should be an ebony stain, or some kind of a paint? I keep reading about some "Mohawk" stuff, but I haven't seen this brand in any of the stores. Also, any wood filler recomendations?

Some of the more experienced folks will be better able to advise on the use of these but Ron had a post that had some suppliers, see: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ght=mohawk and Antique Electronic Supply carries some as well. Mohawk's web site also has a search feature to show distributors near your zip code.
Bob

Ok thanks, I guess I just needed to read a few threads to point the way. It appears using stain is "bad juju". Constantine paste wood filler seems recommended for the porous grain. Then, Mohawk Perfect Brown over all, Extra Dark Walnut, built up on edges and trim. But can anyone suggest the color for the lighter toned inner face of the model 84?

There are a lot of specialty products that cannot reasonable be shelk stocked in low to medium volume brick and mortar stores because of of inventory and shelf life reasons. Best get them from the net, or get a localdealer to special order for you. Might or might not come out ahead by doing so.

Toning Lacqers is what to use. Mohawk brand is good.

Happy New Year,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I'm ordering the toner. By the way, thanks for the schematics and info on the 40-180. My first restoration turned out great (by newbie standards anyway). Now the relatives want one! Oie! if they only new the time and effort involved!