Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1937-38 RF stages are EASY to service!

For as long as I can remember I’ve heard Philco techies whine about the difficulty in servicing the RF stages of the 1937-1938 Philco’s- the 37-620 through 37-670 and the ‘38’s. In truth these assemblies are designed for EASY service! The most difficult part of the operation is marking and unsoldering about 8 wires that go the the main chassis. This particular description was done on a 37-670 but the procedure applies to the whole series.

Set the band switch to band one (BC). To remove the RF assembly, the dial must be removed. Remove the one screw in the center-rear of the assembly. Remove the screws holding the IF chassis (you can leave the rear side screws just loosened); pull the IF chassis out about ¾ inch and lift out the RF stage.

On the RF stage each side cover can be removed with three screws. Next remove the two screws holding in the band switch detent/shaft and pull out the shaft- STOP WORRYING! Look closely at the back end of the shaft- there’s a little raised bump on one side. That little raised “bump” will line-up to the notches in each of the switch rotors. The rotors are not going to fall out and don’t worry about realignment!

There are two wires connected to the bottom of the tuning cap on each stage, one on each side; simply unsolder these wires.

The front switch stage is held in by two screws; the middle and rear stages of the switch are retained by one screw at the base of each stage “plate”; remove the screw to the front stage, and lift the stage up slightly until you see the two solder joints to the tube socket; make a note as to where they are attached and unsolder these two wires. The front switch stage will now lift out completely.

The middle stage will usually have only one wire to disconnect; then you can lift the middle stage out.

The rear stage has two joints and then it will lift out.

You can now replace any resistor or capacitor. Total time to disassemble the RF stage down to switch stages is about four minutes on a slow day.

In each switch stage you can insert the band switch shaft and look at each individual wiper to ensure that it lifts and lowers in each position of rotation. If any wiper isn’t moving as it engages the rotor, gently bend it so that it does visibly move when engaged. If you don’t do this it’s likely that you will have intermittents or inoperative bands. There are an awful lot of wipers do don’t rush through the operation. (Note: the author uses a 1/8” diam. fiberglass rod, shaped on one end like a wedge; this forms a very coarse abrasive that is used to clean crud off of the rotors, just enough to expose the silver color; it does not remove the plating unless you go nuts in the process)

When reassembling, be sure that the wires going to the tuning cap will go through their proper holes (don’t forget to solder them either!). The only precaution is that you have set the rotors all to one position, preferably the BC position from where disassembly began. (if you didn’t preset the rotors, it’s no big thing- remember that the shaft has that “bump” and will only go in one way unless you are reckless and force it!). The shaft should slide back into position with a little jiggling of the individual stages.

These RF stages were designed for EASY SERVICING! Take advantage of it! A total disassembly, cap and resistor change will take less than an hour; most of that time must be spent on examining and repairing switch wipers.

Pete AI2V

I'm sure that Ron and Chuck will have something to add to this thread. Not having had a 1937-38 modular chassis Philco cross my bench as yet I can't really comment either way. But I don't agree that sets like this were designed for easy servicing, servicing seems to have been the last thing on the mind of the engineers designing many 1930s sets, I think the expectation was that the set may have a 10-15 year service life and then be traded in. I have an example of this on my bench right now in the form of a Rogers Ten-60, while it is a good performer the design reeks of stupidity, I will post photos at some point just to show everyone. However I can say that accessing the rear spark plug on the right side on a Chrysler 440 V8 is not really an ordeal in spite of what some say, it takes twice as long as the other seven plugs but not really a big deal.
Regards
Arran

Depends on the set. 17 wires on a 37-116 counting the ground.

You had also better check out those osc coills before you put it back togeather.

And that spark plug depends on the chassis (A,B,E) and the manifolds.

This was specifically to do with 440s in a C body, which this is as it's a Chrysler Newport, or an Imperial, so the full sized cars, so it wasn't related to changing one shoehorned in a Valiant or anything ( a 360 is a better idea for one of those). The hard to get to plug was related to the manifold, or rather where the pipe header comes off of it, but it basically meant putting the socket on the plug and loosening it with a spanner rather then the ratchet, getting the new plug in was actually harder.
Regards
Arran

Easier to remove the plug with a plug socket that has a hex cast on the aft-end of the socket. You place the socket on the plug and loosen the socket with a wrench.

Same technique VERY applicable to V8-Vegas, especially when one uses both side mounts and hedders. Also ANY Pontiac with hedders.

A chassis with an RF deck is more difficult to work on than a chassis that does not have one..... period.