Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Save the old grill cloth!

In October of 2011, I was fortunate enough to still be able to obtain a large piece of the reproduction diamond pattern grille cloth for my 39-40 console. I got a piece just large enough so that I only had a narrow strip left over after replacing the old cloth, which, outside of one or two tears, was still mostly intact. So I saved the old piece, and I'm glad I did, as I was able to salvage a piece large enough to replace the grill cloth on my 39-30 table model. It turned out well. Since this reproduction fabric is no longer available, sometimes you have to improvise. Ditto for the "V" pattern used on my 1936 model 630. Now the new reproduction cloth is virtually impossible to find, and, while the original on my set was badly faded and had a white paint stain running down it, it still was intact and had no tears. After trying various dyes on the corners that didn't show through the cabinet, I was disappointed in the results. Each made the fabric look too dark and didn't show the contrast of the V pattern. So... and I know this may be sacriligious to some... I had a can of gold spray paint at home. Engine paint to be exact. And I lightly spray painted the old fabric gold. I was happy with the results. While not factory correct, the paint really brought out the tone of the V pattern, and really shows off the grille work of the cabinet. You can see it on my avatar pic here.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

The good news is that quality reproduction grill cloth is slowly being introduced into the market place. It's expensive, but hopefully if enough is bought, the cost will come down.

Tom

Tom

Can you show me the or a place where it is slowly being introduced?
I am in a desperate search for pattern 40 for my Philco 18 console, and month after I thought I'd buy it had disappeared to never be found anywhere since.
I almost finished the radio, it sings and all, but the speaker is shamefully naked.

I don't know if this is against the rules but this place on ebay is advertising some different patterns. I along with everyone in this hobby wishes it would come back. And if nothing else, I see a few patterns here that would work on a lot of different radios.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p...&_from=R40

Johnny

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th