Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-472 Capacitors

Hello all, I just had someone give me a Philco 48-472 to get working for them. I noticed there are some very hard to get to caps down under a bunch of other resistors and part of the tuning capacitor. has anyone ever re-capped one of these radios before? any suggestions on how to get them out safely? Also, a lot of the values on them are hard to get to to read. I was wondering if anyone had any schematic info with values so I can start ordering caps.

Also, (Sorry about the photo being blurry) but you should see a capacitor wrapped with a coil of black wire... i've never seen anything like it before. when I go to replace this, how would I go about doing it? because a modern capacitor isn't going to be that same shape as the old one...

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip the wire and just use a plain modern cap. That winding was there to mitigate the original paper cap's internal inductance and roughly detune it to the IF frequency for better bypassing. Modern caps don't have the original problem that the wire coil was intended to cure.