Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 42-1012

THinking of parting out a Philco 42-1012 that I have.
It has the Beam of Light phono which looks to be in nice cosmetic condition, but needs to be rebuilt.
The radio was re-capped, but has never worked right.
Does not have much volume. Gets distorted when volume is over halfway.
Cabinet is pretty nice.
Seems that you can't sell these 40's philco's unless you sell them in pieces.
Any idea what the chassis and turntable would be worth?
Pretty cabinet on this one.
Any idea's?
murf

Hate to see you part out a complete set, especially one with a BOL system.

Local radio clubs often offer "fixit" sessions at their meetings. Maybe this is an option?

i could probably use whatever you feel like pulling and mailing,sooner or later.i am restoring that very model and i like spare parts.if you are still interested in selling parts.pm sent.i hope you found someone to restore it.

I am going to try to fix this thing one more time before I throw in the towel.
But I do have the original 1012 chassis that came with the radio when I originally bought it.
I could strip parts off that one if you need something after I am done with the chassis that I am working on.
Or I could sell you the chassis without tubes for $20 plus shipping.
murf

Murf: have you been trying to get it to play without the BOL plugged in to the back of the radio chassis? Many of these sets must have it plugged in in order for the radio to play.

Yup,
Radio plays, but not with the volume it should.
I could try plugging it in and see if that helps.
Will let you know if that works.
Thanks TA

Tried it with the phono plugged in and no difference.
Pulls plenty of stations, but weak on volume.
I give up.

Did you place the blade of a screwdriver on the grid RF or the det/osc tube to see if it bought in the sound any better?

Also check the output transformer and the interstage transformer for continuity. The output transformers are pone to failure.

Check the plate resistor of the 1st audio second detector tube, those sometimes go up in value or go open. Another possibility may be improper bias on one of the tubes, but a bad output transformer is a common problem in these early 40s Philcos.
Regards
Arran

Gues I haven't tried the transformer.
I have another chassis with the output transformer still intact.
MAybe if I feel like pulling the chassis again I could try swapping that.
It's a job just taking the chassis out of this one.
Now if I could just get someone to look at the 38-116?
Thanks for the help guy's,
murf

Murf, I am looking for the #4 (or last) If can for my 42-400 rolltop console. If your chassis has the old fm circuit, it should work. If you are willing to part out that piece, it would be appreciated, and please let me know. Thanks

I would check both output transformers first before pulling the spare one, it seems to be a recurring problem with most of these sets. The good news is that you can likely pull a good one from a scrap chassis of another brand that also has push pull outputs. Any transformer that is used with 6F6s, 42s, 6V6s, 6BQ5s should work fine, 6K6s and 41s not so much.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the info guy's,
Mark Oppat was telling me that the output transformers either work or they don't. No in between.
Opinions?
When I decide to give it up, I will post an ad on the wanted section and unload any parts that people need from the original chassis.
Thanks

To clarify, There could be a few things wrong with the output transformer which will not shut it down entirely, if you have ruled everything else out. You can emulate single ended operation by removing one of the output tubes, and then replacing it and removing the other one. Should get some hum, but a remarkable difference in volume using one leg or the other of the primary may indicate a problem with the transformer. Differential diagnosis by swapping the output around , (do the test twice,) just to eliminate a possible point of failure.

Next:
Agree, sub another PP transformer and speaker, keep volume pretty low, and see what happens. Just about any tube era transformer of the same "weight" will work reasonably well, in fact probably good enough as replacement. For a radio, just not all that critical, and there are always remedies to adjust bias, etc... to make everything happy, safe, and long lived.

Next:
Sometimes connections in transformers become corroded or arc, and sometimes you can fix by disassembly and whatever. When you have a basket case, there is little to lose.

Well, let us know

Sounds reasonable to me.
As soon as I get caught up a little I will pull the chassis and try that.
I think I am going to have to slow down and take them one at a time.
Sold 3 this week, so maybe I can play catch up soon.
Thanks guy's