Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stewart Warner is here

It's really a beauty!!!! The cabinet is very nice except for the top where the finish is cracking. A little help from MR Mohawk and it will be looking good. I really want to here is bad boy play with it's dual speakers and P/P 6L6's. It has an RF stage and 2 IF amps so should be good in the hearing dept with good selectivity. It even has a fuse on the chassis next to the power transformer. Have a look!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream
Terry

Those twin speakers should have the house thumpin!!!!

Nice looking radio!!

Gene

So many nice, non-Philco radios on here this evening! I'm drooling! All very nice! Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

That's a model 1495. I think it's a 20 watt set!

Very nice!!!Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Be careful around that front control panel when you are refinishing the top. Until you determine otherwise assume that they used a faux finish on there, protect it accordingly with paper covered by plastic.
Regards
Arran

That's a very nice radio!

After taking a better look at the diagram I noticed that it has one If amp and a AVC amp. Interesting set...
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/454/M0020454.htm
Terry

Very nice set. Unusual to see twin speakers on a later 30's set. Reminds me alot of the LaFrance. I am surprised it uses a 5 position tone control rather than a variable one.

The Wells-Gardner 2DL series often used two speakers. They were similar in many ways to your S.W.

You find the 2DL chassis in Coronado, Airline, Truetone, and, of course, W.G. sets. They range from 20 to 30 watts output.

Funny thing... with the exception of the Airline movie-dial sets that used this chassis, you often find them for VERY cheap. In fact, a Truetone model recently sold on eBay for 80.00!!

I don't really understand the run on movie dial sets in recent years, while the chassis within are undoubtedly good performers the cabinets are rather plain and boring to my eyes, even for private label sets. The dials, while the mechanism are somewhat of a novelty, aren't really that attractive, just a square hole with a black and white rear projected display. My Radiola 44 and Canadian Westinghouse model 89 look about the same, though what they have is basically a drum dial with number cutouts rather then a film negative.
As I mentioned before on another thread Stewart Warner is much like Sparton, they built some high quality sets and are largely overlooked aside from a handful of what I would consider novelty models. That Stewart Warner, for example, has a fuse on the power line, most manufacturers didn't bother with that feature.
Regards
Arran

Yes, that's true! RCA and AK are two other brands that offered a fuse in some of their sets.

Agree about the cabinet style of the movie dial sets. My 62-293 is not an inspired design.

Ermagarsh! I just showed it to my wife and it is now on top of the list of sets I don't need clearance to bring home. What a looker!

One cannot forbid people to be idiots....all one can do is try not to be one. -Morzh