Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Difference between PT-2 and 46-250

What are the main changes in the schematic between the pre-war 1942 PT-2 transitone and the post-war 46-250 (besides the obvious different 35Z3 tube in the PT-2 and a 35Z5 in the 46-250)? I have a PT-2 I just got and want to have ready to give to a friend when he's in town next Saturday. I'm working off of an original Philco Service Bulletin with the schematic for the 46-250, as I don't have the complete schematic for a PT-2. One thing that puzzles me is that it appears certain capacitors are reversed between the two different models. I can't imagine Philco would've made that many changes to a relatively simple radio when everything else appears identical. Any thoughts from those who have had experience restoring these two different models would be most appreciated.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Try the schematic posted here:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...014125.pdf

Unless there was a different code number or production run this should be closer then the 46-250.
Regards
Arran

Thanks, Arran. I have been working off of that NostalgiaAir version I printed out earlier, comparing the two, but it's missing the parts list (only one page) and isn't near as detailed as the 46-250 factory schematic. And since I had hoped to have this done by Saturday morning, there isn't time to order the correct one for the PT-2 through the mail from Chuck and still have enough time to do the work (this is an evening, after work project).

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Why do you need the parts list? It looks like the N.A schematic does have the part values marked on the schematic, except maybe for resistors Wattages and capacitor voltage ratings. I can have a look in one of my books but when it comes to the budget sets like the Transitones, Philco often didn't bother giving as much detail. Is it a 42-PT2 or a 41-PT2?
Regards
Arran

The small print with the values is kinda blurry for some items on the N.A. schematic, and I just thought having the parts list would be helpful to verify things. I suppose it really isn't neccessary.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Which part values do you need to know? I have a diagram for both the 41-PT2 and 42-PT2, near as I can tell the N.A schematic from Riders looks like it came out of the 1941 Philco book.
Regards
Arran