Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 Antenna coil repair

I have the last run (run 7) of the Model 60. The antenna coil is open where it goes from the 10k resistor to ground, it is listed as .7 ohms.

Does anyone know what direction and number of turns it needs to be? I haven't taken it out yet and would like the details so I can be ready to rewind it quickly.

Thanks,
Steve

While you're waiting for an answer, you can still make the BC band work by jumpering that point to ground with a jumper if you want.

Thanks, I will try that.

Steve

I have the info, but it's bedtime for me here in the Eastern Time Zone. Icon_yawn I'll try to remember to look that up for you. Kindly remind me if I forget.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.

OK Steve

Four turns of #38 gauge, clockwise (with the lugs of the coil facing you), starting at terminal 4 and ending at the ground lug (mounting bracket).

To find terminal 4, hold the coil up with the lugs facing you and with the mounting bracket at the bottom. Pretend the lugs are the face of an analog clock, and the mounting bracket is at the 6 o'clock position. The lug at roughly the 7:30 position is lug 1, and continue counting clockwise from there.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron. I will try to get this done this weekend. The radio is playing well after the antenna so hopefully this will restore normal operation.

Steve

What does this small coil do? The radio plays well on BC with the open end grounded. I am wondering if I really need to rewind it.

It serves as the primary antenna winding for the "police" band (1.5 to 4 mc). There is a coil inside the antenna coil form which is the BC band primary. When the radio is switched to band 2 (police), this coil is shorted out, leaving only the 4-turn coil in the primary.

If you do not replace the 4-turn winding, when you switch to "police" band you will be shorting the antenna direct to ground and will then have no reception on band 2.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks. I thought it may be for the police band. Ill re-wind it now.

I finished it this afternoon. It made a big difference in performance on the police band, especially at the 1500-1800kc range.

Thank you,
Steve