Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Question About Wards Airline Radio

Beautiful radio Mike! I really like the full vision dial combined with the two smaller dials and that's a beautiful cabinet too, congratulations.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks, John. I have a friend who lives in the Ann Arbor Mi area who surprised me with this radio. He found this at an estate sale and he doesn't usually attend those. It'd been in the same family since they purchased it in 1932. I'd have posted the picture but I've been busy with work and especially the last ~24 hours shop-vac'ing rainwater from my basement.

And thanks Ron for posting the pictures.

Mike

Very nice!!!!

Thanks TA. I have a 1934 Clarion with a similar dial I picked up, lesse, was it October? Haven't gotten a picture of that yet but it came with one globe blueglass Arcturus tube, the rest being variuous manufacturers ST type tubes. I thought the blue Arcturus pretty neat. When the hectic hubub subsides a bit I'll snag a frame or two of that radio.

Mike

Hi Mike-That is a fine looking set. I really like the wood relief trim.

Hi Bruce! Long time no hear! How the heck are ya?

Thanks, that trim does look rather sporty. A friend in Ann Arbor kinda surprised me with this one. I googled and found one that was undergoing restoration. Apparently there's a lighted line pointer that moves behind the stationary dial. Never seen one like that before, but then until 2008 I had been away from the radios for a 30 year hiatus. Always good to hear from you! Icon_smile

Mike

An impressive looking set! The thought just jumped into my head looking at the Airline next to the Zenith.........Obiwan Kenobi next to a starship storm trooper........

Gene

Wow, never even thought of that. Great analogy. I guess it could've as easily been the Zenith 10S470 or the 10S464 next to the Airline, they're a bit further to the left along a line of five consoles and one chairside. The grey wood behind them are cabinet doors. The multiple pinholes near the drawers are where my brother and I used to miss the dartboard as young infink miscreants.

Mike

As opposed to an "old infink miscreant?"

Icon_lol Yes, that's what I am now. Not ashamed of it either!

Mike

Me too. In fact, I am cultivating it, and am now known as THE Miscreant.

I used to call my daughter "Miss-Information," and still do when I want to once again experience her exploding into a pile of body parts on the floor, with a head on top going "AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

It's a pleasure to fellowship with a fellow miscreant. My hat's off to you, sir! There's a lot of joy in cultivating a talent that one enjoys, isn't there?
And knowing which buttons to push, re: your daughter, is a valuable adjunct I have to admit. Icon_lol

Mike

Nnnyesss, it is, isn't it?

Affirmative.

Mike