Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Grandfather's Radio

I bought my daughter a radio for Christmas, except kids don't call them radios today. I guess they're boom boxes or ghetto blasters. It's got AM/FM, dual tape decks, lots of black plastic and chrome knobs, and speakers that you can take off and place about 15 feet apart so you can break dance while you're waiting for the bus. I read the manual and tried out all the features, and thought it was pretty nifty, until I remembered my Grandfather's radio downstairs in the basement.

I turned on the light in the corner where its sat unused for many years. Nothing lit up when I pressed the off/on button. Unplugged, of course. The cord is stiff, and almost broken in places, but I heard the familiar humm when I plugged it in. You know, I haven't listened to this since college.

It's a Philco, and it's big, about 4 feet by 3 feet, and it probably weighs close to a hundred pounds. Really fine wood, with some inlay work. 9 vertical wood slats protect the speaker cabinet, which is covered with a handsome mat material. The control panel has buttons that you push for automatic frequency selection, and there's the call letters of 8 Seattle radio stations, one for each button, some still broadcasting today, others long forgotten. 2 wheels on the left let you adjust the tone and the volume. There's 2 on the right also. One for tuning, and one for the 4 Broadcast band selections, regular broadcast, police, and 2 overseas bands. The dial panel is real glass, with the frequencies calibrated , and the names of foreign countries written at different places on the bands; Geneva, Rome, London, Berlin, Japan, South America. My grandfather had a trading post in Ruby, Alaska, and strung the first telegraph lines in the territory. He bought this radio when he moved down to Seattle in 1940.

I pulled it away from the wall, and turned it, so I could look in the back. It has a directional loop aerial that you can turn by hand for better reception. A round cardboard sign built into the aerial has a picture of the globe with the Philco name on it. American and Overseas Aerial System. Yellowed stickers inside reveal the story. Philco. Model 41 295. This was inspected by an American craftsman of the day and judged good enough to ship. There's a tag hanging from the huge 15 inch speaker. It's the inventory tag from the store where my grandfather bought it, and it has his name on it. Tom De Vane. Advertising slogans that seem strangely out of place today. "Built for television sound and FM - the wireless way !" "A unit of the Philco. Look for this emblem in your neighborhood."

This is powered by early electronics and a mechanical labyrinth of pulleys, wires, wheels, sliders and levers. There's a schematic that shows all the tubes. And these are real tubes, all made in the USA, by Philco and a company called National Electric, that has a lightning bolt going through the name. They light up, and you can put your hands up to them for warmth. You can turn all the lights off in the room, and this radio illuminates with its own soft glow, and the powerful deep sound soothes you as you explore the airwaves .................

From another time of radio, this is Frank Delaney

( Aired on KPBX-FM 91.1 as a Short Feature on Radio History

That's what I call one handsome radio

Well you have a family treasure, but you should have it checked out hopefully by a local hobbiest or radio club before firing it up again. From it's apparent age, there are quite a few components that should be replaced to insure long term reliability and safety if you plan to listen to the set. If you want to take on the restoration project yourself, it is very possible, not rocket science. And the forum members will help you.

Post model number/chassis number so we can know more.

I am not certain that the fellow posting the story was the one that wrote it. He did say model 41-295.

I just added the pictures for illustration.

I wrote that in 1989 when my daughters were growing up and boom boxes were the fad. My grandfather's radio has always worked fine for over half a century, which is a tribute to American craftsmanship.

I was a Communications Technician in the Navy during Viet Nam, and we used very sophisticated electronic radio equipment to monitor Russian and Vietnamese radio signals.

Later when I was going to college on the GI Bill I found that my Grandfather's radio could easily pickup those same signals.

The only part I need now is the faceplate/escutheon which covers the dial, knobs and buttons, and it looks like I'll have to fabricate one myself out of light metal and paint it brown.

Thanks to all replies and suggestions.

Here 'ya go:

http://york.craigslist.org/clt/3448788808.html

Thanks.

fdspokane, you might give a try in the section of the forum for wanting to buy parts. You know know exactly what you need, who knows, someone may be setting out there with a parts system and have the bezel (never could spell the other word) for you.
Good luck and welcome to the Phorum, lots of help here.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I'll do that - thanks.

Yes, welcome and do keep coming back.

Just checking in again to see if anything new with Philco 41-295 users. I still have my Grandfather's radio and love it. Still need parts to hold the glass dial onto the radio face.

Well, the one I posted a picture of above is still in our kitchen and works well. These old radios seem to work longer/better if used frequently. Otherwise the contacts become noisy. Get yours all rebuilt and put it somewhere that it can be used.

Actually mine works fine after 70+ years and picks up commercial broadcast as well as short wave. How many products made today have that track record ?

Strongly recommend you consider getting the electronics "freshened up."

If the power cord insulation is cracking, it is a problem waiting to happen.

Seventy year old electrolytic capacitors are prone to failure in a spectacular way, often taking your power transformer and other components with it.

Additionally, other capacitors go from B+ (HV) to ground, and if these fail, they can also take your power transformer and other components with it.

I am willing to bet that there is an Antique Radio Club located near where you are. There you will find nice folks who can help you with this project.

With modern components and, if necessary, replacement tubes, your set will SAFELY play better than ever.