Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Let's see your radio workbench!

Pacing the cage...

I went high tech with mine.
I use a card table with a soldering iron sitting in one corner.
Clamp on light in the other corner.
Toolbox sitting on the floor underneath.
Radios lined up on all 4 walls.
How's that for a man cave.
murf

I'm certainly not going to post a picture of mine, it's messy. Consists of a small bench built into the garage and a large piece of plywood on two shopmate "saw horses". Nothing to be proud of.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Here's a photo from a few weeks ago. Not that it's any less messy today ;)
[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/81874...53f7_c.jpg]

Since I don't do any electrical work myself except tube test and plugging in and starting up sets on a variac, my bench is the round coffee table in my living room.

I usually put a big towel on top of the glass under the stuff being tested though.

I took this photo a year or two ago:

[Image: https://philcoradio.com/images/phorum/ARF/bench.jpg]

I no longer have either of the cathedrals shown on my bench, by the way. A better 20 Deluxe replaced the one shown, and the 60 was sold and not replaced.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, some amazing work has come from your table!!

My work bench is a former-dining room table with all the leaves installed. It is in my dining area, which is my radio repair area. The table doubles as a cat-stand when my cat Pompey tries to help. There are members here that can verify this wonderful arrangement.

I only place test equipment that I will be using on my bench, otherwise it is behind me. I do have 5 bins with small plastic drawers on the bench all the time that contain items I use often.

My "radio room" radios are: Silvertone 1968, 1965, 1930, 1940, 1942, 1962, a Fairbanks-Morse 8A, and a Zenith 775 with a Stewart Warner 113 SW converter attached.

And yes, I'm single. Do you think I could do this and withstand the Db level emanated from a significant other??????

Well..........I hope to have a work table before too much longer!!

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

My bench rivals Fibber McGee's closet.. Got lots of fancy test gear (including stuff I'll never use..Icon_smile), but much of it is buried under parts containers, various schematics, wayward tools, chassis parts, ad inf.

Maybe the next time I get it cleaned up, I'll post a pic... usually lasts about an hour and a half that way.. <g>

i bought a cart at a thrift store,rather like the ones they use for a/v in high school.cost me $7,perfect condition.handy because i can roll it where i want it.

That's interesting about the cart. I was thinking about doing that with my test equipment so when I needed to use it I could just roll it up.

"Fibber McGees Closet...." ha ha ha ha ha ........

http://ehscott.ning.com/photo/scott-phil...ext=latest

Photo of my Living room work bench with a Scott Philly radio being tested.

Icon_thumbup

I hope my Scott Philly looks half as nice as yours when it's all done. Icon_biggrin

I'm working on my Philco Tropic 42-761EZ chassis right now, the chassis that goes into the cabinet I had so much trouble with last summer. After that, well...I want to get started on the McMurdo but I'll need to have the power supply chassis rechromed first. So I'm thinking about rebuilding my Scott AW23 next, to get a "feel" for a "big dog" set. I've never had a Scott or a McMurdo cross any of my benches...ever. Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I don't have any photos of mine, at least none that are recent and in a digital format. It was, is, a ready made hobby bench, which was great when all that I had was AC/DC sets but doesn't work to well when you have something like a floor model chassis perched on it. It is in a spare bedroom, and not only the bench but most of the room looks like a bomb went off. The reason for such a bench is that it was originally a gift, and I used to move every few years so a large built in bench was out. It also didn't matter much since I rarely worked on sets with a large chassis. I think that after my most recent project is finished, or maybe the next one after that, the bench is going to get replaced and relocated to another room, it is just too small.
Regards
Arran

Arran: buy the woman a NEW DINING ROOM TABLE

Then take the old one into your radio room as a repair bench!

Woman is happy, you get some (momentary) peace AND a bigger repair bench.

Icon_e_biggrin