Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another resistor ID needed/RESOLVED

On my Philco 18, resistor #35 is a 100K. It measures 465K. It's colors are about half yellow/half white, no dot. What do those colors denote? The other 100K resistor has the correct white-white-orange.

Philco often used resistors that were "close to" the value stated on the schematic. This often leads to confusion when under the chassis.

Example: Schematic 50K, actual resistor is green-brown-orange dot. (51K)

Schematic .5 meg, actual is yellow-white-yellow.

Schematic: .1 meg, actual is white-white-orange dot.

Yes, I follow you, but what do you think my colors denote? Half the body is yellow and half is white.

Sounds like a 490K that had too much of the tip painted.

No dot means the "dot" is the same color as the body.

Well, #35 is supposed to be 100K. I'm concerned about an undocumented change.

Put the new 100K in already in place of the old (35), take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

+1 Coated asprin if over 55.

Quote:take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

That's all in good fun, right? And not "quit bothering us with every little issue".

Of course, it was meant in fun. Icon_wink Icon_lol

I assure you, it's no bother at all - that's why we're here, to help good folks like you out in any way we can.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote: it was meant in fun

Thanks.

DK:
I'm self taught. 25 years in USMC grunt and Recon units did not afford me much in electronic education, although it did give me a good education in shortwave propagation. BUT I had an innate sense of what I knew and did not know, and how and where to go to learn what I did not know.

My point is, you get smarter by finding "real deal" radio-men and being worthy of their company. AND read! There is a wealth of stuff out there that helps rock-apes like me learn how to be better at radios.

We ALL asked dum questions early in our radio-hobby adventure. ALL of us!!!

AND your questions are neither dumb nor are they tedious. Do continue to ask them!!

This site is an excellent source for knowledge. Keep coming back, and keep asking the questions!!

This mystery resistor has been resolved. While the 18 code 121 shows resistor #35 to be .1 meg, that same resistor on the code 124 is .5 meg. So, while mine is a code 121, for whatever reason, #35 was a .5 meg. I'm going to make it a .5 meg, although someone more leaned than me explained it this way:

Quote:35 is definitely not a critical value. Along with a capacitor this is just part of an anti-hum filter for the bias voltage coming in to the 2nd detector. I suspect you would have a hard time telling any difference all the way from 47K to 1 Meg. If it was too low you might get some audio hum.

Now I won't need those 2 aspirins!