Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practical Battery Operation

Hi, I've been given a model 41-95 code 121 for a present .I have not even taken a good look at it yet. Here's the question.Is there a battery that can be purchased or ganged together that is not a bunch of small cells ? I want to use this radio in a spot where there is no power an would like a two or three battery solution if possible. Like one for the heaters and two together for plate supply. This radio would get a few days use per month at best . And then a few hours at a time. I would lump cells togther but when I read about it seems that the batteries are trying to be fit within the radio .I do not care about that .This could be car battery size if needed . Any help or suggestions would be appreciated . I will take my best option and be happy as always ! Thanks.!
Bill T

I made a battery pack for a RCA portable with a similar tube lineup. The pack consisted of ten 9V batteries snapped together in series for the B+ and two D cells in parallel for the A supply. The Dollar store 9V batteries are good enough and are cheap. The A cells tended to go flat sooner than the 9V batteries so maybe a couple of name brand batteries there would last longer.

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."

Terry , Thanks for the info ! Just one more question if you get a chance.
How long do the 9 volt batteries last roughly ? These radios must not consume much power. I was hoping someone would say there were options that did not gang them together.But when you think about it I guess the options are pretty limited. Only so many voltages made.
From the sounds of it the heater batteries are delivering most of the current . Thanks again!

Bill T

Bill,

You'll be suprised how long the 9V's will last. I have a 42-122 (5 tubes) and a 40-95 (4 tubes) that run on the same battery configuration that Terry described, and I've listened to complete baseball games with no loss of volume. They can go a couple hours a week, and have lasted as much as a year or more. The D cells are the first to go, generally.

All things considered, it's a pretty cheap way to run a radio. If you go with ten cheap drug-store variety 9V's, they'll last a good long time.

I also have several AC power supplies for these radios as well. I used some 4 pin connectors for interchangeability. It's pretty slick!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Bill , Thanks , between you and Terry I am sold. It just does'nt seem like it would be that way .So I had to hear from someone with experience on it. I just got done with a 1934 Ge (rca chasis ) that beat me up some .
Took a little doing to get it going .I am already beyound my limit in room for radios except at camp where there is no power . So this one is going there for weather updates mostly . I will still keep my modern radio there also . Point being I am going say I'll not start this radio right away. As you know from doing this that in couple of days I will not be able to resist !
I appreciate the infomation as always I think this will be fun to power up
when the time comes !

Bill T

I've made the battery packs for old radios with good results using dollar store battery's , about 10 years ago in the BIG ice storm in the north east I played my 1942 Zenith 7G605 Transocean Clipper 60 hours ,never failed

Thanks for all the replies and info on these battery radio power supplies.
I wish that I did not have to hook up ten 9v batteries .But that is the way to go for sure .I looked my self and found two 45 v everready.
They cost each what was paid for the radio (it was a gift).So Once I get done shoveling snow up here in New York I will get to it .That will be in April the way it is snowing this year! Thanks again for all the help it should
do the trick for me!!!

Bill