Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 95 or 96 Paper filter caps

Hello All;
Does anyone have the voltage ratings for the paper filter caps in a Philco model 95 or a 96? I think my set may be a 96 but the tube lineup is the same as the 95 I believe. I need to order some larger value non polarized caps for a few other projects and thought I would pick up some for the Philco at the same time.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Do you mean the #43 in the 96
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013902.pdf

or
#48 in the 95
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013901.pdf
???

If yes then for me the rule being at least 1.5 to 2 times the real voltage, for the ones before and after the choke, across the "C" I would go with a 500-600V for papers and 500 for electrolytic, for the one across the choke 100V is quite enough, and the one across the #49 resistor (negative bias, between the chassis and the negative of the rectifier) for the "F" voltage is also 100V.

As always, if using electrolytic, the last one has its positive on the chassis.

I have the schematics, what it doesn't tell me is what the voltage is coming off the cathode/filament of the #80 tube, this is what I need to know for the input capacitor. In these sets the original filter caps, and several bypass ones, were all situated inside a tar filled can which I do not want to open up again so electrolytics are out. I'm also not going to cherry pick on voltage ratings for each and every part, I have two or three other sets of a similar vintage, and need perhaps a dozen 2 mfd caps in all, and even more of the 1 mfd types, the Philco uses a higher plate voltage on the output tubes because they are P-P #45s.
One outfit has 1.5 mfd caps at 400 volts and 1 mfd at 400 volts, but they have the best price on every other film cap I need. Another has 1 mfd 630 volt ones but nothing larger, but have a smaller variety of parts then the first outfit. The third is Radio Daze, they seem to have these available in 630 volts, but I sent an inquiry about some other products they have, along with quantity prices on caps but have not received a reply as yet.
Regards
Arran

Arran, No matter what voltage is there you will be fine with 600V rating. For filters it is universal and is my favourite. That is, anywhere from 550 V and up.
It seems as the can is similar to the one in 20, which is not even important.

As for 100v, I only use it to save on space, otherwise all of them can be 600v.