Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70

I just started working on my Philco 70 chassis. I have not done one of these before, and just wanted some hints on what some of the common issues are with this model.

It is an early model 70, and has lots of 24's in it.

One issue I would like advise on is how to properly replace the deteriorated grommets that isolate the tuning capacitor to the chassis. I have already removed it from the chassis, and the old grommmets were flat and crumbly. Underneath, they were intact but hard. What thickness do I need for the top grommets? What do you normally do with this issue?

I am going to try and save the resistors that are visible. I am finding that some are at the 20% point. Am I correct in surmizing that even at the 20% point, the radio should perform ok if I leave them in?

Are there any other things to be aware of when rebuilding this chassis?

Thanks,
Frank.

Hi Frank,

You can order from Radio Daze. I have used them and they are of the correct size. http://www.radiodaze.com/ Go to reproduction parts then Philco and Zenith parts and scroll down the page. I would make a good resistance check of my coils, chokes and field coil on the speaker. I have never worked on a 70 but both of my 90's had these problems. All are fixable or you can order the correct part from Radio Daze. The resistors were probably 20% tolerance when put in. I think they will work fine Icon_biggrin

Hope this helps
Terry

Terry, thanks for the lead on the grommets. I did not think to look at the index for Philco repro parts, and missed them. I just ordered a package today. That will make things a heck of a lot simpler!