Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116 De Luxe help in Colorado

Hello All, Ron R. restored the chassis of my Philco 37-116x De Luxe a few years ago, and I've been very happy with it. Over the holidays, I set a poinsettia plant on top of my radio (stupid, yes, I know, I know). To make a long story short - it leaked, ruined the finish on top of my radio cabinet, and I suspect that a little water may have somehow gotten inside the chassis because now.......the radio doesn't pick up any stations. I am absolutely devastated, and don't know what to do because I haven't the slightest clue as to how to repair these.

I allowed the radio to dry out completely for 2 weeks without turning it on. The radio now turns on, light bulbs work as they should, the tubes all seem to light up to some degree, and a buzz comes out of the speaker, but when I turn the dial or change the bands, nothing plays.

*Note: After switching the radio on and off a few times, it DID pick up stations, so I left it on for a while. After turning it off, and turning it on again.....no stations, just the usual electric buzz of the speaker (not radio static).

Additionally, for whatever reason, the tuning dial and the band switch are locked together such that when I switch the band knob, it turns the dial. I can hardly turn the dial (it's like it's stuck), but when it does move, the band switch turns with it - it's very tough to turn.

It wasn't like this just before Christmas prior to the poinsettia incident. I am just sick about this, and would appreciate any and all help. I live in Colorado - is there a Philco repair person in the greater Denver area? Someone who knows these 15 tube 'Grande Dames'? Please help! Icon_cry

Well, you need to find the closest person qualified to service both the radio and cabinet. - - - Ron?

Don't turn it on anymore.

Clarification: At this point, I'm not going to worry about the cabinet because I can do that work myself. It's the chassis I need to have looked at/repaired. And indeed, I won't turn it on anymore.

Sorry to hear about this. I do not know anyone in the Denver area repairing/restoring radios for others, but surely there is someone close by.

I no longer do radio repair for others, plus I'm several hundred miles from CO.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Philcobenze, I doubt your leaking plant had much to do with your radio reception problem, assuming the plant was setting on the top of the radio and not inside!Icon_biggrin I have not removed that chassis from the console but have a 38-116 chassis on my bench now. You may just need some good cleaning and lubricating on the dial mechanism. If it is acting as you indicated, it's not surprising that you can't get any reception. You seem to not be able to turn the tuning dial without moving the band switch.
Not certain what your radio experience is but you will need to remove the chassis at a minimum to address the mechanical aspect and free the band switch from the tuning aspect. It's heavy. I know on the one I'm working on, shifting the band switch from one to another may rock the dial tuning slightly. Probably not a problem. But, you really need to free up that tuning knob. I suspect your problem is more in the area of mechanical rather than electrical.
Others have much more experience. I'm going to have to make a post on the one I'm working on, problems with the mute and magnetic tuning but that is for later.

Good luck, Jerry

Went down and looked at my 38-116 and I can see no way that the band switch can be turned by trying to move the tuning dial or really connected in any way to one another. They really are not connected together. Either my year later version is really different or perhaps your not describing your problem in a way I understand it? Fill us in.

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

In case you cannot pull off your repair maybe you could find some local assistance with the Colorado Antique Radio Club. They may be able find you a helper. Is there a Philco Phactory Trained Tech in the house...?

I know you can do it with some helpful advice but the local club might assist, I know we always try not to send away from the Phorum anyone seeking help, but in this case.......

http://www.radioace.com/

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

You can't even ship that chassis without doing some disassembly. It would never survive unless you were to bolt it into a wooden crate.