Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-761EZ Chassis Restoration

I think that there may be some conductive crap in one of the trimmers, a mixture of dirt, rust, and mouse pee pee. Believe it or not I usually wash chassis when they get very dirty, TSP is very good and getting rid of dirt and oxidation in things. The problems you are having with this 42-761EZ are precisely the sort of problems I would expect to find in that rusty 38-690 that was on fleabay, except that one had evidence of some very pitted aluminum parts as well as rust.
Regards
Arran

I think you're absolutely right, Arran.

Let's consider which components are band specific - and that would be only the trimmers for each of the five "spread bands" (31M, 25M, 19M, 16M, 13M). So whatever is causing 31M to not operate properly - and causing 25M to not work at all - must be limited to components for those individual bands, and that leaves the trimmers for those bands.

The permeability tuning for those five bands use the same coils; different trimmers are switched in by the band switch in parallel with these coils to make it work on the different bands.

It's beginning to look like I am going to have to remove the RF assembly, which appears to be removable - but does not look to be an easy task. Icon_eek

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

D Grimes speaking from the grave!!!
Terry

Sounds like you have the culprits in sight...and remember Ron, no good deed goes unpunished.

Murphy

Oy vey!

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...isgust.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

"Mr. Crusher, please take us out of orbit...one quarter impulse"