Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

i found a cabinet and knobs for a 32b (has most of the label inside) at an antique store,it's in what i call good condition. are chassis ever available for these? i haven't found anything on the interwebs,restored,parts,nothing.

The Philco model 32 is a 32 volt DC set. Its design is based on the model 89, but modified for 32 volt DC operation and using a separate vibrator power supply which mounts on a shelf above the chassis (cathedral and tombstone). Not sure where the power supply mounts in console versions as I have never seen one.

You could grab the cabinet and install a Philco 89 chassis, it will fit perfectly and be as close to being "correct" as you may get. Plus, you will have the benefit of a radio that you can simply plug in the wall (once properly restored, of course) without worrying about building a power supply for it.

I have a 32B tombstone with a modified 89 chassis inside. I wrote about it here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/notebook/super89.htm

Show us some photos when you get your cabinet! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

i kinda like the idea of having an old dc farm radio,work with battery banks often so a power supply won't be a problem.think i'll look for a chassis for a while.

nice job on your 32,the cabinet i found is a cathedral.thanks for the reply.

So, did you buy the cabinet?

It won't be easy finding the chassis and power supply. These don't turn up very often.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have been looking for a power supply for my model 32 tombstone for quite awhile now. The vibrator is fried.

Agree, they are hard to find....

no i haven't bought it yet,it's been sitting for a couple years and not going anywhere.i need to negotiate it down,$100 seems to me a bit high.antique radios don't move much around here.i can put my hands on 6 philco's within a mile of my house,4 of them 30's consoles,a crosley showbox and various and sundry other brands.also thinking about getting this philco that doubles as an end table,pretty cool...