Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1201 Bing Crosby - Feet? Screws? Clips for Bottom?

Hello All,

I'm new here as well as to Philco. I used to live in Philly a few neighborhoods away from what used to be their headquarters, so this is a small piece of home for me. Icon_smile

I have a 46-1201 (code 127) that I am slowly restoring. I am currently touching up the cabinet and purchased a replica bottom panel as mine was missing.

My question is how was the bottom mounted underneath the M-7 phonograph? Did this model have rubber feet and machine screws or was it just clipped on, in the way that backs are mounted? Was it all of the above?

On the frame of the M-7, I see a few holes that I can not match threads to (I have a few tools for that). There is one remaining piece, center right side, which I think is a clip to slide the board into.

Can anyone recommend the parts I need to close the bottom as it used to be? I know I could tap a new set of holes and just pop on any set of bumpers, but I'd like to stay true to the original if possible.

Also which direction does the bottom plate mount (there are round holes on one side of the board, the other open slots)?

I do have all the Philco service manuals (Philco's and Sam's) but see nothing about the hardware on the base/bottom.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

My Bing Crosby is a Canadian version called a 76A, and the bottom is just a piece of Masonite type hardboard held on using the same screws that hold the rubber feet on. There was never any evidence of there being a back on mine and nobody had ever removed the chassis since it left the factory from what I can tell. It's a very common model so finding a parts set shouldn't be a big deal if you need anything.
Regards
Arran

Arran
Thanks. So you are saying it does have rubber feet (four I assume in the corners?)!Icon_biggrin

Does yours also have clips under which the bottom cover slides?

Re- a back. The photos in the Philco docs do not show any. I'm not looking for one anyway. Icon_smile I'm purely focused on the base cover and rubber feet.

Everyone else -
As I mentioned, I have tools to measure the threads of the holes in the frame of the M-7, but none match up - SAE or metric. (Is the base pot metal or something which would swell to close the holes?) If this model did have screws and feet, I guess I'll need to tap some new holes....Icon_think

If the 46-1201 is as common a model as Arran said, the irony is that none of the online parts dealers list any feet for it. I guess everyone bought 'em?

Anybody know a vendor who sells them? I have visited all those in the Philco resources list and none have any -at least listed for this model. If not, I'll just have to approximate.

If anyone has a 46-1201 with feet, and is willing to help, please let me know the size of the rubber foot that you have (outer diameter, inner diameter, height, etc.,), or a link to someone who sells that same size, Philco or no. My normal "go-to" mcmaster.com might have some - I just need to know dimensions!

Thanks!

The bottom frame on mine, which the record player mounts to, is stamped out sheet steel. The feet were held on by sheet metal type screws, I believe approximately near the corners of the Masonite bottom, that may be why there does not appear to be any threads. My 76A is somewhat buried right now so someone else may have one easier to get out an examine. The feet were something like 1/2 to 5/8'' in size.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran. When I was measuring threads, I was measuring the holes in the M-7's metal frame, not the wooden board/cover, as that's where any screw, machine or wood, would have to pass through and grab.

Do you recall if your passthrough bumper feet had a taper? Also, did you mean 1/2" - 5/8" in diameter or height?

The feet were about 1/2''- 5/8'' in diameter, they may have had a slight taper. I should take it out and check it.
Regards
Arran

No worries Arran. Thanks for that. I decided just to "wing it" since I last posted and ordered bumpers and the sheet metal screws to mount them.

I guessed (based on what you had written) that you meant width, seeing that the majority of the radio aftermarket bumpers are .5" in height. Whether that's vintage spec, I've no idea, but from what I've gathered (by the lack of response here and the lack of info from the vendors that I contacted) not many folks care that much about feet being vintage correct - at least the rubber kind. Icon_lol

My limitations of screw hole size, height, and width oddly narrowed down my choice (or lack thereof) to a slightly tapered passthrough bumper.

The only "mystery" left for me which I had to just truly "wing" was the type of screw.

I went with one similar (but smaller) to the chassis mounts (on mine and replacements), as these styles would also tap the hole for me if needed (though really the base isn't that thick for threads). I just wanted something that would drill and grab.

Worse cases scenario, I have screws that I can re-use elsewhere. Icon_lol

[As always, AFTER I ordered I began to wonder if hole inserts similar to anchors used in drywall today had been used - given I had such a difficult time matching holes to screws (to bumpers). Do you see anything like that?]

What you really can help me with now Arran, if possible, is to check to see if you have any mounting hardware left on your frame for clipping the cover to the base - I suppose similar to the pins used for backs?

I found one such "clip" (below). I imagine there were at least two more purely based on the holes available on the frame and my repro cover not used by feet.

I'm just wondering if my guess is correct, is where to buy them? I'm talking with Mark at oldradioparts.net to see what he has. (He's been extremely cool about my weird foot screw fascination Icon_lol ).

[Feet, screws, and bottoms. I wonder how this post will index on the search engines! Icon_lol ]

Thanks!
---

Here is my on "clip" with the repro base slid into it (crookedly since I only have one and no screws yet):

<cue the sound of tumbleweed blowing through the ghost town Icon_lol >