Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 repair help

Yes, at least on the 37, the sides do come off.

The sides come off on the '38 versions as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

How many are ready to sign up for a two day workshop at Ron's house focused on removing sub chassis? I'm on but a long drive. Remember, BYOP! Icon_clap
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Maybe we can get Ron to come to your place in AZ?
Much nicer weather there.
I would offer it here at my place, but it's too D**n cold.
We are looking at -15 degrees in the morning here.

Well, back to the garage/shop to see what is going on with the mag tuning. I need a flannel shirt in this cold weather, getting close to freezing at night and maybe mid to high 50s during the day. Certainly is warming up from a week ago. You guys need to thaw out. I also need to build something to rotate that chassis around. I have one arm that can't lift much. Even with the good arm, that sucker is heavy.
Stay warm and let's see what Ron has up his sleeve.
Jerry

I just built a wood frame to support the chassis which utilyzes the 4 pegs on the outside of the chassis.
Drilled holes in the wood frame to accept the pegs.
THen mounted that frame to a stand built high enough to allow me to rotate the chassis 360 degrees.
Used a pin to lock it where I needed.
Otherwise a c-clamp will work too.
murf

jerryhawthorne Wrote:How many are ready to sign up for a two day workshop at Ron's house focused on removing sub chassis?

Bring it on. Yes, BYOP, BYOB, and arrange for your own motel and meals. Icon_smile

murf Wrote:Maybe we can get Ron to come to your place in AZ?

Not happening, unless Jerry provides all expenses. Icon_wink Gas has started climbing back up again...and I was dumb enough to buy an Excursion a few months ago. Love the room...hate the MPGs or lack thereof.

In all seriousness, however - Sorry, guys, but I simply do not have time to provide a seminar on my method of RF unit restoration. I have working 37-690 and 38-690 sets, but I plan to go through the 38-690 again sometime in the future and stuff original Philco wax cap shells with new yellow film units. That set is worth the extra effort. Perhaps, at that time, I could put together something with photos. Be patient - it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Once I finish up my 42-761 chassis, I will probably begin work on my Scott Allwave 23. I want to get started on my McMurdo but I'll have to have the power supply rechromed first.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

And I was just getting in my car - - -

and am probably the farthest away.

I wish that I had time to take one of these apart for you guys and take pictures, but it would turn into a book, which, as Ron would point out, takes an evil publisher. (My wife has written a book as well).

So as I recall important, disjointed bits I can help Steve & all.

There is one thing for sure. If you do get it taken down to the sub chassis, with the sides off, CHECK ALL of the osc coils in the front section, especially the one for the 2nd band. I have never found one of these in its "natural" state not open.

If you study the schematic, which I am not currently doing, you can check continuity of those coils on the pins of the 6N6G(?) twin triode to ground - as you change the band switch. And to that first bank of trimmers (37, not sure of the 38 ).

But if you put it back together after a recap and find you have a dead band - you will cry (or just get really good about taking it apart).

Also there are a couple of black plastic coated caps in there mounted to the band switch, they are almost round. I dont know if these are mica or paper or what. But I found one of them to be bad. Might want to check them as well.

Murf, looks like we are going to have to suffer along without a training class. Steve posted an interesting approach to replacing that pesky #7 cap on the 38-117. Looked close today and indeed it is under a hole. If I was a skilled brain surgeon with an operating microscope, it seems feasible! What a shame Ron had to buy that low MPG vehicle. I discovered my friends Honda Fit can actually transport my Scott 800B in the cabinet with ease and great mileage.
Jerry