Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grundig

I'm looking into this one real hard. I remember the first Grundig I saw back in the early 80's and what a beauty it was and the best sound I ever heard from a radio. I don't know how hard to repair, if needed, they would be or how difficult to find parts but I'm sure trying to keep my wallet from jumping out of my pocket looking at this one. For any Grundig aficionados, what are your feeling on this model?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/19075974123...s&var=sbar#

I myself was trying to buy a Grundig to restore. Had to postpone it. Great radios.
So are Philipses and Blaupunkts, and Telefunkens.

Grundig's are good sounding sets, no doubt, but that one is way over priced IMHO. I paid $50-100 for a couple of the 2066PX models so deals are out there, just be patient. I found that despite the close quarters and the schematics in German they weren't too difficult to repair. Dial stringing on some is harder than recapping,Icon_wink

I have a Blaupunkt Florenz that was my daily player until it was time to declutter the house for listing pictures.

Glenn

Attached Files Image(s)

Happily back in Illinois..not.

I haven't seen any that rival that one for sheer looks and restoration. I've looked on ebay and while some look good on the outside the backs are torn or corners for the back are torn and there's been no component replacement. Compared to this one I think his price is not too bad considering the level of restoration. There's no indication of any restoration or component replacements on this one but look at the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Grundig-...19d666596b

Ebay always has late 50s and 60s German radios with ridiculous prices, if you really want one try something local like craigslist or even garage sales. The part that makes them sound good is the speakers, in spite of the cult believing that all things German are wonderbar most of the time the radio chassis itself isn't anything special in these things. I can still remember when people were trying to dump German set on me when I posted ads looking for old radios, eventually I had to specify "No German radios please". I hated working on them and they never really interested me that much, crappy wiring, underated components, and flimsy mechanical parts, not to mention that idiotic design they all had where they use the bandswitch to turn the power on an off.
Regards
Arran

Glad to see you really like them.Icon_smile

Elijah, in what part of TN are you located? Both Memphis and Nashville have active radio clubs with regular swap meets; you might find just what you are looking for at one of these meets. Icon_smile

I saw a very nice looking, and playing, Nordmende for $30 at a swap meet in Lexington this past Fall. I passed, but it was tempting.

The point is, at a swap meet the prices are often lower than eBay, you can look the set over before buying, and you don't have to worry about it being shipped to you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Agree, better to get a set that is working and needs only TLC.

These sets are not for the feint of heart to work on if there is serious damage, but well maintained and restored are a pleasure to enjoy.

Ron-I'm in Knoxville, a long way from Nashville and even further from Memphis. Nashville is about a 3-4 hour drive. I would have to get a totally restored unit as I know nothing about Grundigs or Telefunkens and from what I've seen the schematics are hard to follow since their symbols are different than ours.

There is a fellow who comes to the New England Club meets with stunning German sets. He is more reasonable than any one I have seen online. I did not know this but the German Sets postwar were taxed based on the number of tubes they had, thus the engineers designed circuits to get the maximum performance on a reduced tube count, sorta of the opposite of some US sets with a lot of tubes that may not have meant a better piece of electronics, the FM on the better sets is to die for.

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I wish they had a radio club closer by. I don't even know of anyone who does repair work on old radios around here. I use to know one that was pretty good but he was bipolar and you never new what sort or mood he was in when you went over as it could change 30 minutes after you were there. I sure wish there was some old timers that had been in the repair business since the 50's a sometimes I get stumped trying to figure out a problem...like my current one of aligning an FM section of a Zenith.