Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jackson Bell Question

i got this JB from a co worker the other day it is a nice 6 tube superhet with 3-57's,a 56,33 output and an 80 rectifier tube anyone have an idea of the chassis model number thanks Don

Attached Files Image(s)

The 33 is wrong, it's an 2 volt output tube for a battery radio, very likely it was supposed to have a 47 or a 2A5. Somebody probably grabbed a random tube with the same base just to fill an empty socket, or wasn't aware that a 2 volt battery tube was very different from a 2.5 volt AC tube.
Regards
Arran

yup i haven't measured any voltages yet BUT the set has been playing that way since who knows when it was in used daily until a few years ago and plays now with very little ,or no hum!! (i would have thought a 2.5 volt tube would have poped) or HUMM with twice the normal filiment voltage Don

Nice JB, but yeah, the tube line-up sounds wonky with that 33 in there. It'd be nice to see some pictures of the chassis. It might be a more common chassis used in a less common cabinet.

The cabinet doesn't look familiar, but JB was a small west coast company and undocumented models turn up now and then. Looking at the cabinet style makes me think it may have been one of their later (last) sets made. JB is usually pretty good about having the model number stamped on the chassis or engraved on a chassis plate.

I just did a quick scan of Floyd Paul's JB documentation and didn't see a cabinet like yours.

And for anyone who doesn't have a set I highly recommend Los Angeles Radio Manufacturing, The First Twenty Years by Floyd A. Paul. It's a very interesting look at the birthplace of the midget/mantel set:

http://www.antiqueradios.org/paul-bks.html

These have recently been reprinted in a limited edition after being out-of-print and unavailable for years.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"