Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is it worth it???

Hi everyone. Saw a d-701 Truetone console radio at a shop near me today. Looks to be in fair shape...missing all knobs and needs speaker cloth repair, but 98% intact. I've been considering a shortwave radio as my next project. The seller wants $70.00 for it, but we can probably negotiate. Don't know anything about truetone radios, so I'm drawing on your expertise. Were these good radios, or should I walk away from it?

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hello Gary, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of first rate guys and gals here more than willing to help.

I really don't know much about Truetone radios myself, I'm sure there are those on the Phorum who do, but I've never heard any negative comments about them.

If the seller is willing to negotiate and you like the radio I guess it's worth investigating. I would see if an appropriate speaker could be found for it before committing to a sales transaction. It appears to be an 8 tube set with an RF stage. Here's a link, (Ron, hope it's ok to post one), and I hope it works because sometimes my computer illiteracy shows up.

www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=6403

It has a nice, large, colorful oval dial.

Mike

Truetones were the house radio of Western Auto Stores. They had many manufacturers. Some of the early sets were made by Detrola and were pretty cool looking, command a good price. The D may denote Detrola, look on the chassis for clues, made in Detroit MI, etc.... It is a pretty handsome set. Bet you can bargain down.....

Paul

Tubetalk1

It looks like Renovated radios has repro knobs that would be a pretty good match. They're a generic knob used on many radios I think. I have similar ones that are original on my Magnavox Belvedere.

www.renovatedradios.com/assets/images/Parts/knob_3generic_flag_5.jpg

It's Generic Knob Set #5, pictured about 3/4 ways down the page at www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html

EDIT: Oops, pardon, my bad. Re-reading your post I see that it's the speaker grill cloth needing repair and not the speaker itself. Sorry about that, chief.

Mike

That's a pretty nifty looking radio! She's got charisma. I like it!

Many earlier Trutones had magnificent dials, after WW2 many of the Trutones became more pedestrian like a lot of Manufacturers, too many small bakelite jobs.

Paul

Tubetalk1