Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Could someone pat me on the back?

I'm floating around in radio ecstasy. Let me describe what I started with: A Philco 77 from CL for $25. The speaker was badly smashed-in, but for fun I repaired the cone with low expectations. It had no 45s and the ones I'm using test poor. The filter can had been removed and a 20/20 uF with mid-air solder joints was for, I guess, the 2.0 uFs, although there are three! The 2 bakelite blocks are gone and in their place was the worst unsupported mid-air soldering job that I've ever seen. The input xformer is replaced. After a lot of scrutinizing of the schematic, I made nice terminal strips for the bakelite blocks and made a new filter cap board. My hopes are really low at this point because the drawing that I made of the old wiring job, did not appear to match the new work that I completed. So with nothing to lose, I variac-ed it up and at 70 volts, I couldn't believe my ears, it worksIcon_eek.

[Image: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54621529/3.gif]

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

Hey! There you go, man! Feels almost sexual, doesn't it!
Really happy for ya!

Congrats on your success. From wondering IF --- to euphoria.
Jim

Problem is you're hooked, but congrats anyway.

I didn't mention that the dial cord was broken, as well. So I laid the 2 old pieces out on my bench to find the length and cut a new one and knotted on the springs. There's some hope involved here, of course. So I string it on and it seems like it's maybe a half inch short. Not wanting to start over and having dealt with this chore before, I grabbed the end of the spring with my needle nose and pulled. By some miracle, the end went into the hole and after a few complete spins of the dial, it's just right! What a day! It's bright green masons' snap-line, so don't tell anyone.

Nice job and well, not exactly a sexual high for me, it could have been if I was working on it. Happy for you.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Did someone remove the sheet metal can block capacitor? If so that was quite a job since it has at least 1/2 dozen other caps in it as well. Since it is a 1929-30 model it would not have stand alone wet electrolytic cans.
Regards
Arran

Quote:not exactly a sexual high for me

Icon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lolIcon_lol Before we know, Ron's gonna' lock this thread Icon_shh . Anyway, new question: The one 45 tests almost GOOD and the other one is down in the BAD. Does that explain why the one tube, while lit, is practically cold while the other one is hot?

Quote:not exactly a sexual high for me

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...isgust.jpg]

Anyway, here's your pat on the back. Sorry, it's en Espanol.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cx25-Ri2bI]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

DK, I replaced at ruinous expense two of those tubes that both measured between 8 and 10% on my cheap tube tester with NOS tubes. No real difference in performance. Of course they were "matched" for low emission! Sorry about my previous response if inappropriate Ron. Just felt Mortzh's threshold for excitement was a little low. Icon_lol Sorry Mortzh.

Jerry

Jerry

I said "feels sexual", but I did not imply the intensity of it Icon_mrgreen

Then again, as we say in my language "where there's no fish crayfish is the fish!". So, depends on what alternatives you have.

This is why in my language when we do mean long and hard (sorry - no allusions here) frustrating dealing with some problem, we actually use the equivalent of the "f" verb. So at the end of that, some ..well...high...should come! Icon_mrgreen

I agree, some high should come. It does for me as well when a radio starts to play. Thanks for the explanation. Certainly changing from one language to another involves subtle differences. I like you Morzh!

Jerry

My Grandpa always said "a pat on the back is awfully close to a kick in the butt" Icon_lol