Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 6D-815

I have a Zenith Model 6D-815 that came out of my sister's estate and as I was looking it over I noticed the electrolytics were replaced at some point as were all other capacitors. I discovered two of the tubes weren't up to snuff after checking them out in my EICO 625 and replaced them.

It has a real scratchy volume and stations weren't very perceptible...only a few and the volume control was stiff. I sprayed contact cleaner in it and it's still stiff but I can get 4-5 stations but not all that clear due to the sound of eggs frying, particularly between stations.The volume acts like it wants to go up but doesn't unless you purposely turn it up. It's like something's not making contact somewhere. There were no burned resistors Anything else to look for?

Probably the elecrolytics need to be replaced as a bare minimum. I would not power it up again until this is done. If the paper capacitors haven't been replaced, I would do 'em all, and probably all the carbon resistors as well, as it will only be pennies apiece and should be done all at once. Also I would apply a tiny amount of WD40 to each switch and control bushing, and give all contacts and control innards a nice spray with Deoxit 5, and let dry overnight. I'd probably clean out tube sockets and pins with a little Deoxit on a pipe cleaner, and check for firm contact with tube pins. Could also be dust or whatever on Tuning Capacitor, and a blast to Deoxit usually does it, but if there is a lot, a piece of paper can usually dislodge it. Be patient, this takes a few moments.

Let us know.

It was the electrolytics. Apparently they don't last as I long as I thought. These couldn't be more than about 10 years. I don't have any De-Oxit so,I sprayed the tuning capacitor first, then I had already sprayed the volume control but squirted a little WD-40 on the outside of the control. I need to swap out the tube contacts. Being a pipe smoker, I have plenty of pipe stem cleaners. Thanks for the suggestions. An alignment probably wouldn't hurt either.