Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A National NC-183D

What is it and how expensive should it be? OK, I have learned that it is a model NC-183D not 1830.I have seen one and it is definately different looking. Has a speaker in a metal box. It has a pretty high price tag on it; $275. Anyone familiar with this type of set?
Are they nasty to work on?

Well it's not a "radio" so maybe it doesn't count.....it's more like a boat anchorIcon_biggrin
OK fixed the typo. Get a little dyslexic every now and then.

Gene

Really don't know much about the radio. They're supposed to be good receivers from what I've heard but I have no experience with them. I've seen them, one at a hamfest in Wyoming, MI. Forget the price but seemed awfully high as it wasn't in very good condition. $275, to me, doesn't seem unreasonable it it's in nice shape.

Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm thinking you mean a NC-183D?? I have a '173 and it's good little set. The '183D is a double conversion job so the alignment on it maybe a little tricky. All of that series are great sounding radios '173,'183,'183D. The '173 wasn't hard to work on at all.
Terry

It might be worth a little more if it has a matching National brand speaker with it but I think you could do better then $275, for an unrestored one. Aside from old Hams and radio collectors not many people have an interest in boatanchor sets.
Regards
Arran

Fortunately, it does have the metal speaker with it. UNfortunately, the condition leaves a lot to be desired. I am going to try and check it out further and see what the chassis looks like. I have also learned I need to check the transformer as these evidently had a habit of frying themselves.

Gene

The condition of the set or the condition of the matching speaker leaves a lot to be desired? A cosmetically beat up and unrestored set shouldn't be anywhere near $275, probably not even 1/2 that amount. I'm not up on the going rates on boatanchors but I have noticed that when it comes to brands the Hallicrafters equivalent model of a given National model is generally more collectable. Whenever I hear of anyone chasing after a National model it's usually one of their HRO models.
Regards
Arran

About the transformer if I remember the original design called for a couple of paper caps from each side of the HV winding to the chassis. That's what kills the power transformer...
Terry