Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stuck Knob on 610B

I have recently acquired a Philco 610B. One of the knobs refuses to come off. It is the center knob on the tunning control. The outter knob seems to move along the shaft a little bit, but the center knob is stuck fast (and, of course, it must come off first).

Natually, I would like to preserve the orginial knobs if at all possible. Do you have ideas on removing stuck knobs without damaging them?

Thank you,
Perry

Hi Perry

I moved this thread to Philco Cabinet Restoration as it seemed to be a more appropriate home for it.

Over the years, the most common "cure" I have read about for this problem is to put a piece of heavy string behind the stuck knob, wrap once around the shaft if at all possible, and then pull as hard as you can with both hands - one on either side of the knob, pulling on both ends of the string. Be aware that the knob may very well end up flying across the room.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It also shouldn't hurt anything if you squirted some WD behind the front knob, very likely that the spring got stuck to the shaft, I had a knob stick to a splined steel control shaft once and that did the trick.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for your suggestions. Because the inner and outer knobs are "nested", I could not get a string behind only the center knob. But, using a strong nylon twine wrapped on the shaft behind the outer knob and a steady pull, both knobs came off (undamaged).

I did not need penetrating oil this time, but I will keep it in mind for even more stubborn cases.

Thanks agin,
Perry