Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plastic for dial covers

Does anyone know where to get good plastic for use in making new dial covers. I've searched around where I live and no joy. I live in a somewhat rural area and "hobby" stores are pretty much limited to scrapbooking and flower arrangement. Thanks for you help. Rod

I tried several sheets of Evergreen .015 clear sheet styrene from the hobby shop, and each curled up when heated in the oven. I then used a heavier plastic I cut from the "window" of a gift box of vodka (Please don't drink while working on AC/DC radios) and it worked great. A heavier sheet of styrene may work, but the hobby shops don't seem to carry it around here.

Hi Rod,

Try Bill Turner in St. Charles Mo. Here is his web site. http://www.dialcover.com/ He sells a kit that you can use with instructions. It's good to see someone else in the area that restores these wonderful pieces of history. Icon_biggrin

Hope this Helps
Terry

Last I heard, Bill isn't doing dial covers anymore due to poor health. Too bad too, because he did great work. I think a family member has taken over, but don't quote me.

At the very least, you can check his link and if not, he can steer you in the direction of someone who can help. Good luck!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network