Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need some ideas

Hi guys,
I have this 38-17 it's a table radio in a floor model cabinet. Anyway someone brush painted it with something that looks like a tinted clear finish.They did an awful job!!! Runs and bubbles all over the place. It really is a shame as the panel is in great shape. Now for the problem. It has a photofinish front panel. I tried a bit of stripper on it and it didn't do much. I did scrape it a little and it's white under the finish.
So what can I do to remove this crap off the panel?? I was thinking of carefully sanding it off and if I manage to remove some of the photofinish I could do some t/u with some paint. What do you think??

[Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/84302...e9b7_b.jpg]
Philco 38-17F by TBS-50B, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream
Terry

Oh my Terry that looks terrible! Icon_sad It is a shame as the underlying photo finish looks so good. Not knowing what was painted over it will make it difficult to remove it without attacking the photo finish. I could not "carefully" sand (or steel wool) and get close enough down to level things out without cutting into the photo finish. I hope someone has some good ideas. You would almost have to remove that panel to get the edges down. If your good at veneer work, I would remove that panel if possible and try to replicate the faux finish with real wood veneer.
Looks like a tough job all around. At least you have the rest of the radio to experiment with on removing what ever they put over it and see how it affects the lacquer/toner underneath.
Good luck

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Is there any way that the front panel can be removed? Is it held in with screws on the top/sides? If so...and if you are very careful, you could remove the panel and then do what you have to do to the rest of the cabinet.

A very light sanding, being careful not to go through the photofinish but just enough to remove the runs, could rescue the front panel. I would defer to the experts (Steve Davis, Gary Rabbitt, others?) on that process.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I would try a little lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool elsewhere on the cabinet, other then the front panel, to see if you can remove that clearcoat. Try a dab or two at a time to see if it will soften. You could also try alcohol in the same manner, alcohol will remove shellac but not damage the lacquer under it. If it's varnish that they painted on there you will be a world of H**l trying to get it off without stripping it down to bare wood.
Regards
Arran

I've got the panel out but I'm a little afraid to use chemicals on it. I have IPA MEK and MA at work all are pretty strong like 99 0/0 pure. The IPA will strip the clear coat off of a car! I think I'm going to try sanding and see where it takes me.
Terry

That's why I suggested testing it on an area where it doesn't matter, like the side of the radio. MEK will eat anything so that doesn't even count. Just plain old fashioned laquer thinner on a rag, a razor blade, and some 0000 steel wool. Dab just enough on to soften the top layer, then scrape with razor blade, then buff with 0000. Wet sanding, with oil, the front panel seems like a safe option, 0000 steel wool may work as well but takes a lot of elbow grease. Just for safety take some detailed pictures of that panel, and some measurements of where and how wide the bands of "inlay" are, just in case you mess it up.
Regards
Arran