Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1934 Phico model 18(code 121) shadowmeter

I restored this radio awhile ago and it worked great. Then stored it awhile and the shadowmeter wasn't working properly. Seems the horseshoe magnet is weak. I tried to remagnatize using the method from "The Philco Repair Bench" and it actually got weaker. Has anyone tried this method or maybe some other method? I'm open to any other ideas.

I've read in some guy's thread he glued those small magnets to the ends of that horseshoe thingy.

But try to take a strong small magnet (they are really strong) and try it again. Remember the ends should be the OPPOSITE polarity so you probably should magnetize them with the opposite side of the magnet. Or so I think....

Also, it is my theory, and I may be wrong, but you should magnetize each end with the magnet side that gets repelled, not attracted. That means you are magnetizing it with the same pole, not the opposite. Though this may not be as important, since it probably does not matter where the vane goes, left or right. Or is it?

Here is a link to the thread about what I did to get my shadow meter to work on my 15X. I tried to remagnetize mine without success. Once I figuered out the exact spot for each magnet, it worked perfect. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...6&t=211469

Skip