Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Early Model 65 Highboy

Simple - he saw an identical model 95 on eBay for which some clueless seller had set a starting bid or a Buy It Now of $650 or so, and now he thinks he has a rare and very valuable treasure.

You cannot reason with folks like this - it is best to go find another one elsewhere at a more reasonable price.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, my other question was is the one he is listing a 95 or 65?

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

How can I tell? Without seeing the back of the set and seeing how many tubes there are - 6 (65), 7 (76), 8 (87), or 9 (95) - there is no way to know unless you ask. And then most folks, not being knowledgeable of vintage tube radios, may well count coil shields as "tubes" and get the count all wrong. Only photos will tell the story. Period.

edit: Hold the phone. Looking at your link, the set does not have a small off-on switch directly below the tuning knob, nor is there a hole for same. That makes it an early 65. The 87, 76 and 95 all have four knobs as does the later 65.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Those early sets are difficult to tell what model it is without seeing a pic of the chassis as several chassis can be fitted to the same cabinet. About the only way to tell is to know how many tubes it has and if they are triodes or screen grid tubes. If you know that then the only thing at can throw you off is the output tube some use 71's or it could use 45's.
Terry
Ron types much faster than I.

I do believe the question has been answered. It is an early 65. I did ask him to count the tubes and he indicated 6. The nice tapestry grill cloth is not worth anything close to his re-listing. I think I will let it rest. It was the grill cloth that excited the wife. Styling wise, I'm happy with my 111. I indicated to him I was standing tall at 175. Let's see what happens.

Jerry

Wow, the beat goes on. I advised him via e-mail that his new listing was misleading as to calling it a 97 when it was clearly an early 65. He relisted it as indicated below WITHOUT giving a model number and raising the price! Fun watching this fiasco. I told him I was standing tall at $175. Of course he did add a picture of his dog on the new listing.
Jerry

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/atq/3644585795.html

Send him another email. See if he will raise the price again.

Phlog, I'm really getting to like you!Icon_crazy With your help I did get the 38-116 mag tuner working.
Jerry

Time to let it go, Jerry. The guy is a nitwit. If you really want to sell something, and don't know anything about the item you're selling, you do some serious research. You don't pick out the highest priced thing you can find on eBay and go by that. And if it doesn't sell, you don't keep raising the price.

But then again if you just want to show something off (and show off your lack of salesmanship skills), then by all means, start high and keep going up. Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Your right Ron but I do find it entertaining to watch what is going on with this. As you indicated, makes one worry about the people that have radios up for sale. Still waiting for a new dial for the 38-116 on my bench to finish it off. Also have another Philco console down the street to bring up and fix for my friend, just wait and watch. Found it interesting what he is doing. He sold a bunch of vintage test equipment and a couple fair radios as a "group". I wonder who got those and what they paid?
Jerry