Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hippo back

Does anyone know what kind of clips were used to attach the back to the cabinet on the Hippo models? I purchased a new repro back from Retro-Tronics, but there are no slots or holes for any clips to go through. Nor are there any mounting holes on the back of the cabinet that I can see. I have a 1946 model. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Check out this thread for some pictures of the clips. Sorry, I don't know of any reproductions.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=1933

Thanks, Bob! I appreciate it. I should be able to bend something up to work based on those great close-up pics!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Keep in mind that the Retro-Tronics backs are thinner and more flimsy then the originals, so the clips may not hold the back in place for long. The original was laminated cardboard with a wood veneer core, at least the one still intact on my brown hippo was.
Regards
Arran

I'm sorry, but the title of this thread cracks me up. It makes me think of something you'd see at a beach, namely a large woman in a small bathing suit. On second thought maybe it isn't that funny...

Not sure, Arran. The back seems pretty sturdy to me, but the real test will be, as you said, if the clips hold it in place.

And jontz... that is pretty funny, and reminds me of a joke I heard not too long ago (apologies in advance)...

I was at the bar the other night and overheard three very hefty women talking at the bar.

Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"

One of them angrily screeched, "It's Wales, Wales you bloody idiot!"

So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"

And that's the last thing I remember Icon_e_biggrin

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

LOL! Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN