Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380

I've tried emailing Larry Bordonaro a week or so ago about purchasing a escutcheon and haven't heard back from him, is this normal ??

Also, does anyone know what the replacement brass strip, Rock-Sea Enterprises sells, cost ?? I couldn't find that information on his website and I don't like downloading anything because I have a real old computer with Windows 95 and I'm on dialup.

Thanks
Bruce

I got the escutcheon and brass strip for my 42-380 from Radio Daze whom I believe has taken over this part of Rock Seas's product line.

Steve D

Thanks for the info Steve.

Do you have any pictures of your 42-380 that you can post ?

I've got a picture or two of mine around here somewhere, I just need to scan them and upload them to photobucket or some other free image hosting website so they will show up here on this messageboard.

I would be interested in seeing how well your reproduction escutcheon and brass strip look. On the backside of my original escutcheon is a metal strip that holds a piece of brownish paper to the back of the escutcheon so those little slide in radio station and Band Identifers don't fall out. I'm wondering how you remove this. Is it just pressure seated on the standoffs or what, don't want to break escutcheon trying to remove it.

Does anyone make reproductions of those little band and station identifiers that you slide in there that the light passes through when the radio is on ?

I'll post some pic's soon.

I will upload some photos tonight.

I did not re-use that strip. I scanned one of the original station tags into my computer and after trying Photoshop (couldn't fix them up without a lot of work), I used Word to recreate the tags matching them to the scanned images (the background is a very dark Prussian blue). Then I printed them on heavy paper stock.

After cutting them to size I cut plastic covers to size from a protective plastic film that I bought to cover the LCD screen of my camera. I slipped the sandwich of these two into each position and they hold in place nicely without the metal strip. When the button is pushed the light shines from down and behind as the felt moves away and illuminates the station.

I also got new knobs from Radio Daze but the glass dial is original, just cleaned. I whitened the plastic backing behind the glass dial by washing it lightly with bleach.

Steve D

There are some photos of my radios at:

http://demandred.dyndns.org/540i/gallery/Antique-Radios

Hope the views of the 42-380 are clear enough.

Steve D

Pictures are fine, radio looks very nice.

That gives me a very good idea what the escutcheon and replacement brass strip looks like. I can tell you didn't use that steel strip on yours as I see the tube through the slots, nothing that couldn't be fixed with colored wax paper and a couple drops of super glue.

Your station and band indentifiers are much cleaner than mine, yours looks almost white, wheres mine are like brownished, maybe from smokers ?? I have the Police/Broadcast/SW as well, different pre-select stations, must of been from a different part of the country than yours.

I have my radio apart right now and I haven't had time to locate the couple pictures I have on it or a place to host the picture. As soon as do I will post them.

Thanks Steve

Bruce , I have a 41-280 that used ecutcheon ,knobs and replacement glass as well as the brass strip.The works! For what it is worth the brass strip reproduction is new looking.It is plastic. It's fine and I am happy with the outcome in mine .It is not like the original brass.If I had the original I would consider using the original brass strip. Besides that the strip I got was labeled out of order.If you cut it might be noticable .
All the rest of the repo's were great . Radio Daze is a good source.
And as mentioned they bought Rock Sea.

Bill