Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116 Help

I just recapped my 37-116. Ran it for about 20 minutes, everything sounded great. I heard a little pop under the chassis and said to myself--- " that doesn't sound good". A few seconds later the radio quit and a little smoke appeared from under the chassis. I found that the smoke came from resistor #121 an 18 ohm to ground. Ref.Volume #7-31-32. Any suggestions on where to start looking for what has failed?
Thanks
Bill

Bill McChesney Wrote:I just recapped my 37-116. Ran it for about 20 minutes, everything sounded great. I heard a little pop under the chassis and said to myself--- " that doesn't sound good". A few seconds later the radio quit and a little smoke appeared from under the chassis. I found that the smoke came from resistor #121 an 18 ohm to ground. Ref.Volume #7-31-32. Any suggestions on where to start looking for what has failed?
Thanks
Bill

Bill.

This is just a beginning and basic answer. Hopefully someone like Chuck will slip in and answer more in depth. The resister itself is a good place to start with replacement, but somehow you have to ask yourself what made it POP. Is there something else in the circuit or is it isolated to just the bad component itself.

Sorry I cannot offer something else more in detail, but that's a good start perhaps.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hello Bill:

I just re-capped my 37-116X manual tuning. I think you should check that C123, the 10 micro farad electrolytic cap, is wired in with the correct polarity as shown in the schematic. In fact, you should check that all the electrolytics have the schematic's polarities. The schematic is correct. Also, there is a production change which changes C126 and C127 from 8 to 4 micro farads each. I hope this helps.

William

Thanks Gary and William, It was the #123 cap. When I replaced all the caps I replaced this cap with a 10mf @450. When I tested this cap with my volt/ohm meter it tested @ 35K. I thought that kind of odd in that I usually find them open or shorted but not a high resistance short. I just removed this cap completely and the radio workds fine.
Thanks for your help.
Bill