Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked veneer suggestions

My recently acquired 37-116 has some cracks in the veneer at the top of the cabinet where it curves from the face of the radio to the top.

This pic is close to what it actually looks like:

[Image: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff93/...dcce36.jpg]

This pic is with a flash. It makes it look worse than it is but provides more contrast so you can see the problem more clearly:

[Image: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff93/...78970d.jpg]

So, for a rookie such as myself, what's the best way to either repair (preferable) or hide this problem? Can the wood be steamed to expand the wood and diminish the appearance of the crack? I'm open to any and all wisdom that you are willing to share.

EDIT: I do realize that the parts that are lifting will have to be VERY carefully glued. I'm more worried about the fault lines.

This happens all too often. You can hide the problem by mixin up a little artist'soil paints and use a n old fashioned "spotting" brush like they used to use to retouch negatives. A couple of "values" should be enough to do the job. If you are not as steady, as I am not anymore, get a kid, preferable a teenager to help. They have better visual acuity and coordination. After you get the cracks filled in, leave it dry for a week, then, up to you what to do next. You can clean off the rest of the cabinet and spray the whole thing, or just touch up the finish with a little poly, again with a very small brush. Let dry for another week at least, and buff out any irregularites with a little pumice. All is reversable in case your expectations are not met. 999 other ways to do it.

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it. This cabinet is going to get a complete strip and refinish so trying to spot touch up won't be an issue.

Unfortunately there isn't really any way to cover this up completely short of new veneer. My suggestion, provided that the cabinet hasn't fallen over and broken the structural wood underneath, would be to try injecting some glue under where the veneer is lifting, and then holding it down with masking tape. After the glue dries you can sand it smooth, but save the dust in case you need to fill any voids.
Regards
Arran

That will work for a while and then it will be back. My last post was about that subject:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=6133

I'm just going to do the best I can with it and whatever happens happens. We'll just call the imperfections "character" and leave it at that. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I have a DeForest-Crosley (Canadian Rogers made set) where the underlying structure of the cabinet swelled up at some point causing the veneer to crack on the one corner. When you have veneer wrapped around a curve like that, especially a tight curve, the outer surface is under a fair amount of tension, so if something expands underneath it will crack. Fortunately in my case it's only two narrow horizontal bands that need replacement, and they are only maybe 14'' long.
Regards
Arran