Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Strange antena terminal function

I recaped and repaired a Philco 38-10. It works fine, except for a non-functioning short wave antena screw terminal. When I hook the 20 ft. antena wire to this terminal, it does no good. However, I get short wave reception when I hook to the AM terminal! The AM terminal also works for the AM band. Everything is conected under the chassis.
For what it's worth, I replaced the 70k ohm resistor with a 39k ohm one, as I understand Philco did after production was underway. (Philco used a 40k ohm resistor, but at 20% tolorance, I see no real difference.) The Rider publication mentions no other accompaning changes. This resistor is part of the short wave receaving circuit, but I can't see how that could cause the disfunction I am experiencing.
If a little solder got down the capacitor terminal when I attached the aforementioned resistor, could that cause such a problem? I presently have no way of testing capacidence. Now that I've got myself thinking about it, I could check that terminal for an open or a ground, but I will wait to hear what the Phorum has to say about this before proceeding further, as it is now fully assembled.

The same antenna terminal is used for AM and SW.

(getting out binder with 38-10 Service Bulletin to confirm) Yup...as with most 1938 Philco models, there are three screw terminals in back: RED, BLK and GND. BLK is connected to chassis ground as is GND. The RED terminal is used as the antenna if you are using a conventional longwire; if you were using a dipole such as Philco's High Efficiency Aerial which was available when the set was new, the red lead of the dipole lead-in connected to the RED terminal and the black lead to the BLK terminal.

It's resistor (11) that was changed from 70K to 40K. Yeah, 39K should be fine as a replacement.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Checked the scematic last night when I got home. I don't have a computor there. You are 100% correct. I don't know how I missed that. I guess that's why you're "Mr. Philco".

Well, anyone can make a mistake, which definitely includes me. It's too bad all of the problems that crop up when fixing radios are not this easy to solve.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN