Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco on public display locally

Our local Washington County Historical Society has converted the old county jailhouse in this town... which dates back to the Civil War... into a museum. I haven't visited in a couple of years, but in scrolling through some recent pictures they posted on their Facebook group, I was surprised to find what appears to be a 1938 Philco console on display!

On the minus side, it is very poorly refinished (looks like all the veneer is gone!) and has a hideous red grille cloth. Dispite the restorers slovenly ways, it's always nice to find a Philco in an unlikely place Icon_thumbup I'll have to go check it out in person sometime.

Now, to ask the experts here, what model is this? I don't recognize the cabinet in the 1938 chapter in Ron's excellent book. I even checked the 1937 chapter, as both years used the same round dial and didn't find it. Any ideas?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

You won't find that one in that book, but it is in the Gallery - although the picture is very poor (only thing I could find, and no one has offered a better one).

It's a mid-1937 addition to the Philco line, and came in the following flavors: 37-34F, 37-38F, 37-60F, 37-61F, 37-62F, 37-89F.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937b.htm

Of those models, the one in your local museum definitely is not a 37-34F or 37-62F since these have three controls, not four as shown. And I can't really tell from the photo but it seems that the tuning is a dual control (knob within a knob), so that narrows it down to the 37-61F or 37-89F.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info., Ron. Knowing you don't have a decent picture of this particular model makes me want to go visit the museum all the more. The executive assistant for the historical society is a friend of mine, so I'm sure photographing it wouldn't be a problem. Finding the time to get there and do it during business hours might be a different story though! Icon_e_biggrin

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org