Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transitone 46-200 Ivory Paint it how ? Or leave it .

Could not resist another Philco. It wasn't great to begin with but got worse with bad ebay packaging. Dial cover broke , broken tube ect.
It seems beyond cleaning .It is Ivory bakelite I think .Usually I like to clean things up and that is that .Not really happy with the outcome of my cleaning on this one . Can I paint this ? I want to have it look original still. Do not want a red or blue job. But want to restore as close as possible the radio to original . I also (being a true nut for this stuff) have it's brown bakelite counter part on the way . So questions are.
Do I leave it beat up . Or redo it .Do I sand prime and spray paint ?
Or strip with some kind of stripper that won't melt the radio ?
Just looking for some guidance from anyone in the know . I want to do the best job I can on this case including the dial cover . Thanks for any info as always.

Bill T

That's the Ivory version; Model 46-200I.

Chuck , That makes sense . There are not the usual markings on it or I have not found them. I was puzzled by some of the componets on this when it struck me someone had soldered a transistor radio antenna
on it ! I 've looked around for tips on how to paint this and right now I will
just strip it , scrap it and spray paint it Ivory .White would make it look like a more modern plastic .So I appreciate that point .Thanks!

Bill T

Paint it Ivory Bill. This is in keeping with the original. Philco's were NEVER white at that time until the true plastic cabinet sets of the 50s. Icon_smile

I wouldnt strip it. If you have to repaint it, use "wet or dry" automotive sand paper with water, and sand the whole cabinet , feathering out the scratches. Use the original paint as a base for your new paint. A sanding block is needed for any flat surfaces.

Jerry , To late I stripped it yesterday . Should have waited .Most everything came off but there is enough remaining to deal with .It will
take longer this way.Has to be smooth.If you can feel it you will see it.
I felt it would strip easier than it did. Paint was thick and tough . I'll
try it your way next time .Has to be easier than stripping ! Thanks.