Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Philco 38-116

Arran, you are correct, I just like the right tubes in there. All glass. This radio was originally as you know set up with glass. Can't see them much with the shields on but the one I'm working on is missing the shield bases for the mag tuner 6J5s. Still stuck in glass and seems to do find. I like the glow. This chassis had one shield cut down due to the lower seat of the metal tube. I hated that. I had a proper shield and repaced the dang metal tube with glass. Threw away the cutdown shield, if the person who did the change would have just extended the grid wire it wouldn't have been so bad.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

On the other end of the spectrum from the 38-116, my RCA 15K came out with and uses all metal tubes except the eye tube. Where even I prefer glass, I wasn't happy until I found my NOS metal 6L6 tube to replace the single glass 6L6 someone had put in the radio years before. Oddly, the new military surplus metal tube I put in was almost an exact match to the original RCA metal 6L6 in there when I tested it.

No matter where you go, there you are.