Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Console cabinet cleaning

Hey guys-

I was lucky enough to find a 38-690 and a 40-180 recently, which I purchased. Both have been sitting in a barn for some time and Id like to get the accumulated dirt and grime off the cabinet exteriors. They are both pretty dirty and until I get them cleaned, dont want to do any oiling, waxing or etc. I have heard that gojo works, but am wondering if it leaves any residue behind and what else you folks might have discovered. If you recommend gojo do you have any special tips or technique for applying it or removing it? I dont want to damage these fine old radio sets. thank you for the help.

Mike I am not an expert .But I just use a damp cloth and am careful not to get water under the fininsh .Usual I take my time and do a little every day over a few days .A soft paint brush works good on cracks will dirt in them . Watch out for your dial glass . Depending on the model of your radio you can wipe the print right off. Not sure about gojo. But I have had good luck with water ,just takes time to soften grime up.Try the go jo on a small spot and see how it goes. After cleaning I have used Hardens furniture polish with good results . It is loaded with mineral spirits and does not get any harsher than that .Still it did not hurt the fininsh on my console. So if the gojo works good post the results back here and I will try it. Good luck !

Bill T

Hi Mike,
I use GOJO (the soft kind) on a lot of my radios with #0000 steel wool. Do a section at a time and wipe off. It cleans them up pretty decent. No harmful side effects. Just be careful not to get it on the grill cloth. It may put a stain on it. After that I use a solution called kramers antique improver. I found at an antique mall. It makes them look great and it lasts for a long time. http://www.kramerize.com/toc.htm

Hope this helps
Terry