Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1938 Silvertone model 6152 just restored

This is one of only 3 non-Philco radios in my collection. I purchased it back in 1984 or 1985 at a garage sale in Hartford, WI. It was recapped then and played great. Even the magic eye green tuning tube worked, albeit a bit dim. I listened to it a lot in the late 1980's... I remember in June 1987 learning that Fred Astaire died while listening to it, and in October 1988 listened to the 50th anniversary broadcast of The War of The Worlds over WBBM in Chicago. By the early 90's, the green eye burned out completely. It has been sitting in my basement since then, sadly collecting dust. That is, until this past week, when I got the bug to give it a make over after finding an original replacement 6U5 green eye tube online. That's really the only reason I keep this radio is because that green eye is just plain cool when it works! Here's a before restoration picture:    
And here are some after pics:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

A few more pics:

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

And a YouTube demonstration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se21DYYGqTg

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

That is a very handsome set! Silvertone had some neat sets and every model-year they offered sets with interesting features.

Nifty! Greg. Thanks.

That came out very nice. Silvertone had some nice, well performing sets.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Thanks TA, Art & Jayce. I will always swear by that Minwax golden oak wood treatment. It does remarkable things to old wooden cabinets!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org