Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

It's Raining Philcos Around Here!

Hello, first post here. I'm more of a late 70's early 80's classic hifi type, but I find myself being drawn more and more into consoles for some strange reason. I have a Motorola SK32W I'm working on from 1959 and a Fisher 101 from 1953 in original condition. I keep going back further in time.

There was a rough looking 46-1213 at Goodwill for $49.00 (as is) the other day. When I looked in the back and saw no output transformer on the receiver I mistook it for a tuner, and thought someone had snagged the amp. After some research I realized it was a field coil speaker and that the unit was in fact complete. I returned the next day and it was gone. I have attached a picture.

The same day I was asked my a nice lady to restore her 48-1286. It looks to be in decent shape and complete. I can do my own electronic work, and can also do the cabinet work, but I've never worked on anything this old. Should be fun. I've attached photos of the 46-1286 I'm planning on restoring, as well as the 46 model that got away, and also the Moto SK32W I'm working on (before and during).

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome!! Lots of folks here with experience in Philcos. Looking forward to watching your project!

Although I'm not a post-WW2 collector, there were some neat sets after 1945. Welcome to the Phorum!!

Welcome to the Philco Phorum!

There's a lot of top notch information here. Ron is the best! If you have any questions here, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

You may find as you get more into these radios, you'll start wishing you had this and that and, before you know it, your garage/living room/bedroom is full of radios!

Tom

I have three rooms full of 50's, 60's and 70's audio equipment now, but there's some room in the garage...

From one newbie to another...welcome to the Phorum. These are some of the friendliest and helpful people I've ever corresponded with. Between them all. I don't think you can stump them with any questions. I tend to look for pre-war radios myself, but those in your pics look diamonds in the rough. Keep us posted with your progress. Take care. Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks for all the kind words. I an eager to get this unit back up and running.

Hi and welcome!
Beautiful wood on that cabinet. It does appear that someone stripped the cabinet and might have had white paint on it?
Get your "ducks in a row" and do a little research on the chassis before you start work on it. That way, you will be familiar with what you're looking at. It might have lots of the dreaded rubber insulated wire under the chassis.
If you've worked on modern sets, you should have no trouble geting this one going. Just go slow and ask questions if you are not sure of something.
Good luck!!

She finally brought it over today. Her repair budget is limited, but I feel I need to do the following as an absolute minimum before I let her take it home:

1.Make it safe to use. The power cord is completely shot so I'm not even plugging it in before that is replaced.
2. Recap and rewire as needed.
3. Replace that awful grille cloth with something that looks as close as possible to original.
4. Deoxit all contacts and switches.

She has no 78s, and isn't worried about the changer, so that is low priority.

A small amount (< tsp) of wax has leaked from the power transformer, but other than that it looks great. Power cord is shot. I'm sure AC plugs with that design on them are unavailable, right? Probably a waste of money as well.

It's still raining. The 48-1286 is repaired and looks and works great. I just acquired a non-working 39-55. Where do i get push buttons for this one? I'm getting used to the futuristic styling but will miss the FM from the 1948 model.

The 39-55 has no pushbuttons, only eight panels for station presets which are tuned by the Mystery Control.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Could have some of those rain clouds here in NJ. Kinda dry out here.

"The 39-55 has no pushbuttons, only eight panels for station presets which are tuned by the Mystery Control."

Sorry, 39-45. No Mystery control on this one.

Okay, 39-45 pushbuttons:

http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html#pushbuttons
(scroll down past the Brand Z items)

http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/partlistings.html
(The proprietor of this business has been going through some serious health issues and may or may not still be offering these)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN