Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What my 16B looked like when I got it and then....

I've related how I acquired my 16B chassis and speaker and then got the cabinet later.

I was going through some old pictures and found the 2 that show how it was mounted. The pictures attached show it mounted on the back of a wainscoating door----how it looked on the front side and the back side----and then the completed radio with the correct rough cabinet and then after it was refinished. Luckily a radio club member had the cabinet I needed

Lucky to find both.
Art

Attached Files Image(s)

I remember that a friend of mine found a 1935 vintage Sparton chassis that was apparently mounted in a wall in a similar fashion, complete with it's VG-1 Visoglow tube. Someone on here found a brand Z shutterdial chassis where someone had done that. It must have been a fashion to install radios behind wall panels at one time, on occasion you see it in old movies as well.
Now what I could use is a cabinet for a 116 chassis, I have one that came out of a console that a guy got me to fix and then abandoned it here. Unfortunately the console did not have it's original 10'' speaker nor it's acoustical clarifiers. It came with two 8'' Magnavox speakers mounted to a board, and the plug for them didn't even match up with the one in the chassis. In any event I never did get that chassis working properly, I was testing it with an H series speaker out of a Philco 96, I may get back to it some day.
Regards
Arran

I think saving floor space might have been a factor. Obviously consoles and the largest table-model radio Philco ever made (a 16B) take up LOTS of space.

Good job, Art

Icon_thumbupIcon_clapIcon_wave

Love it when a plan comes together !!

Wow! What a transformation!! Nice work!

Gene

Nice save, Art. We were looking at a house recently that has that same type of paneling in one room - no radios built into the wall, though.

Now I know why your 16B has 1938 pattern V cloth. It would appear to me that the radio was probably put into the wall no earlier than mid to late 1937, as that pattern of cloth was not offered by Philco until the 1938 model year (which came out in June 1937).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

@Ron,

I realize it's different but the cloth in this ad is a chevron closely related to mine, right?

Whooops, what happened to my attachment in my last post?
Guess it must have been too large. Wondering if the chevron cloth in this ad was original stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have no idea. Please edit your last post and try again.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Art,

Did you notice the cabinet in the ad & your cabinet is different.

You have the later style. Both cabinets took the smaller chevron patterns. The pattern you have in your later style tombstone was used in '36-'38 consoles, I'm guessing.

I have the earlier cabinet pictured in the ad, which also has the much smaller chevron pattern.

I imagine Kenny will be repopping both of these patterns soon.

Still a Great Save on Two Orphans. I'm a real sucker for orphans, trying to make them whole again. doing it with a 650B at present.
Lloyd

Sometimes, the Heart can only SEE, what the EYES Cannot

About 40 years ago I found at the curb a SW and AM radio chassis that was installed in a rather crudely built homebrew floor standing cabinet. Looking similar to the above. I don't remember any details like the brand or approx number of tubes in it, I do remember listening to Radio South Africa and such, using a 50 foot antenna. It got tossed long ago ("Get this POS outta here")...

Here is the type of chevron or "V" cloth used in 1935-37 Philcos, including the 16B tombstone:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...8f6f47.jpg]

And this is the 1938 style chevron or "V" cloth used in the 38-1, 38-116, and a few others:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...016898.jpg]

The second type is the type of pattern you have in your 16B, Art. It originally had the first type. But all of this is academic now since neither pattern is being reproduced anymore.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

@Ron,

Alas, at this point I"d take either one for the 38-1 I just acquired.

@Lloyd,

I just used the cloth that was with the 16B when I found it on the door. I didn't have any other and didn't know when a certain pattern was used on what models.

Ron,

Yes Sir, I read your last post:

"I have no idea. Please edit your last post and try again."Icon_lolIcon_wink

Heck, I even read your last post before that one, but....it didn't answer Art's question about the small chevron pattern in the advertisement.Art wanted to know about the grille cloth that was pictured in the ad.

"Wondering if the chevron cloth in this ad was original stuff."

I realize Art knew the pattern in his wasn't correct. Art's pattern was used in '38 as in my 38-4. I stated that I was guessing about the years that had that particular pattern, too lazy I guess to get up & look what my 37-116 & my 38-690 had.

Human nature, if someone is in a quandary about what particular pattern they need, they must understand the differences between the two cabinets. That's why Art asked about the smaller pattern(smallest) in the advertisement.

I brought up the cabinet differences because about every 6 months on Both Phorums, people discover this difference. Thought it was a good time to point it out while viewers had the opportunity to see both photos in the same topic that Art posted.

The first pic Ron's shows is the pattern in my 37-116. Maybe Ron can post a pic of the Small pattern that is in these early version styles that is pictured in the ad. I was just collaborating that the ad's pattern was correct to answer Art's question. Art was asking if it was a close facsimile... 1&1/2"-----3/16" spacing & repeat, between the two *chevrons* patterns isn't that close.

I do know that the cloth in Art's cabinet is for a console. Maybe someone here that has the later version of this cabinet style can post a pic with the correct grille cloth.

Art,
Did you notice the difference in the "front roof line" between the two cabinets? With all the Love & Effort you put in these Two Orphans let's hope Mr. Richmond will "hook(all of Us)up"Icon_wink

Kenny has a TOP 10 sales list. After a few "Z" patterns are out, I'm sure the Philco *Chevrons* will be coming.Icon_smile

Now to figure out where that "Quote" button is,Icon_confused

Lloyd

Feeling foolish, just last minutes when asking. Never asking, being foolish last forever.