Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you pop out the front panel of a Philco 91?

Everything's out of the cabinet, removed front panel screws, a couple small wood braces. There are two small tacks at the bottom of the panel and the rest is glued in there. I guess you don't have to pop it out but there are so many finish problems and scratches and dents all over that I have to strip the whole thing, plus I want that front panel a little darker than the rest of the cabinet.

If your 91 is the cathedral version, the front panel should pop out with a little force. A word of caution, often, a small section or two of the front panel veneer may stay with the cabinet.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Yeah, it's a cathedral:

[Image: http://i.imgur.com/XJojhhw.jpg]

About that force part - do you mean just bang around the perimeter with your palm or a rubber mallet, etc.? I'd like to find put kind of leverage tool inside the cabinet to pry it out of there - like a super mini crow bar or something - before I start banging from the front, because like you said I am worried about some veneer ripping off, although I've got some for repairs. But it's so tight inside there I don't know what to use.

You may be able to use a small hammer to tap a putty knife between the front panel and the front arch to break the bond. Then use hammer and a block of wood to bump the panel out. If the veneer is damaged in the process, it's really not that difficult to replace.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Putty knife - should have thought of that. Worked great, no damage. Big thanks, Steve.