Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 43

I just purchased a Philco model 43 from the original owner's family, for $55. The cabinet is in great condition and the radio receives stations...with a small amount of hum. I'll recap it for sure. This is not a model I'm familiar with. Does anyone have any information or comments about it? Thanks, Phil

See the info Ron has posted for a start. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1932b.htm Also look at 1933. There is a schematic here http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/43.jpg

I restored one awhile back, and Steve Davis made me an OUTSTANDING cabinet using what was left of mine as a starting point.

As far as radios go the 43 is an interesting combination of technology. I consider it a "Transitional" set, and it was the first true "all-wave" set Philco produced. It did not get produced long, as better sets followed the 43 that reflected Philco's learning curve producing all wave sets.

Do NOT recommend turning it on again until you have gone though it and replaced all electrolytic and wax-paper caps. Verify resistors and replace as required. Personally, I replace any resistor not within 10% of stated value.

The 39/44 tubes used in the 43 are not as reliable as the later remote cutoff pentodes such as the 77/78. it is a good idea to have some extras. Additionally, when the 39/44 gets below ~800 umhos (~80%) it tends to be unreliable.

When properly "refreshed" and aligned, the 43 is a decent receiver. Give it a decent antenna and enjoy DXing!!

It should be a very sensitive receiver. The pentode mixer with separate oscillator is low noise and works better at SW frequencies than does the 6A7 pentagrid converter which is more common. Also, two IF amps gives all the gain and selectivity you could ask for.

The tubes are amongst the first with 6 V filaments and must have been intended to promote car radios. So they're probably mechanically rugged.