Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-630 chassis separation

Hello all. I'm restoring a Philco 37-630 chassis. It's the one with the rectifier on top of the transformer and the tuner module has a subchassis. The question is simple. Does anyone have a slick way to get the tuner chassis and subchassis separated as to facilitate recapping the chassis's or is it chassi. Either way, this is challenging recap. As always, thanks Steve

Others have done far more of these than I and I'm sure can chime in with their own techniques. Bottom line is you're going to have to disconnect a number of wires to separate the sub chassis totally from the main chassis. So the best thing you can do is label each wire you disconnect with a small piece of tape, number them, make a sketch showing each numbered wire to ensure you know where it came from / where it's going. The more detailed your notes / sketches are, the better off you'll be when it comes time to reassemble. Be patient, and don't try rushing through it. Take your time and you'll have success.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Take pictures...take LOTS of pictures! And as Greg siad, notes and label wires.

Most likely the rubber mounting grommets are hard and crumbly. Reproduction ones can be bought from Renovated Radios.

I colored coded all the wires and did take lots of pictures. It's back together and waiting for the new grommets. Thanks again to all