Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to deal with cardboard cover for filter cap

Finally got my last filter cap redone for my 66MB but it does not have a cardboard covering. Thought about cutting out a piece of paper towel tube to cover with but it has the strips on it where the glue was used to hold down the last sheet when it was wrapped at the factory.

Also would need to color it so it would sort of match the existing filter cap on the chassis and attach it so that the cover could be removed by sliding off of the can itself. So how does everyone else accomplish this?

I never try to reproduce the appearance of those wretched old wax and cardboard electrolytics.

Well, it needs the covering since the can is isolated from the chassis.

A ring of cardboard (paper towel tube sliced down) or fishpaper in the clamp
area will do the job to insulate the can from the chassis ground.

Chuck

If this relates to protective sleeves for the aluminium capacitor tubes, I read somewhere - maybe on this phorum - how to do this, and eventually did manage it with reasonable results.

If you take the cut down cardboard tube (toilet roll etc), wet it and wrap it around a piece of PVC pipe of the right diameter, holding it in place with elastic bands until dry, you can make something passable. If you leave a very small piece of the cardboard tube projecting over the end of the pipe, you can crush it down when still wet which gives you the 'rolled over' effect for the top. I darkened it afterwards by spraying it with lacquer. Make a few and pick the best ones

Yes, on models such as most 1932-1938 Philcos, they did not use cardboard to cover the entire can - just enough to keep the body of the capacitor can from making electrical contact with the clamp holding it to the chassis, or from the chassis itself. So it should not matter if the replacement cardboard tube you use is not 100% aesthetically pleasing, since it will be mostly hidden by the clamp anyway.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN