Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightning Struck Twice! Truetone D1952 Console

A while back I posted a little of the story about my grandfather’s Truetone D1952 console that he and my Mother purchased new around 1948. He was so proud of it and my Mom, being a typical teenager at the time, loved the way it played loud; much to my grandmother’s dismay. It had AM, a phono and that newfangled FM band!

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/western_au_d1952.html

Anyhow as a teenager I remembered playing the radio and old 78’s on the phono. Somewhere in my teen’s as I got into electronics and radios it succumbed to my attempts to refinish the cabinet complete with “horrors” polyurethane and new grill cloth. Hey you got to start somewhere.

As time went on I forgot about the console until I finally brought it home after my grandmother passed. The desire to get it going and back in original condition has gotten stronger, but where to get any parts for a store brand radio that no one collects like they do Philcos, Zeniths, etc.? How to repair the cabinet, test and repair the electronics? Well with the help of the radio forums I got a handle on what I need to do the cabinet and any old pesky capacitors past their expiration date. But what to do about the wrong grillcloth? What was the original finish like?

On an occasional trolling trip looking for any info on the D1952 model online I found a Craigslist ad in the same state I live and a couple hours drive. Well after a couple of emails, Paypal, and scheduling changes to find an available day I picked up its twin last Friday. A few photos are posted below.

Between the two I should be able to get back to the old days with this console. As an added bonus I got the back covers for the console complete with the “TV compatible” sticker that I didn’t even know existed since they were long go off my grandfather’s version.

Stay tuned for before and after updates hopefully later this summer. Hey at least I got plenty of spare parts.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files Image(s)

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Nice score, Mike. I was looking at a Truetone d-701 about a month ago, and dragged my feet one day too long. Went back and it was sold.

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks Gary for the compliment. It is about as late as I go in my small collection, late 1940's. It is sentimental to me of course but this one and the GE 417A console with dual FM bands from 1946 should make a great bookend to the end of the golden tube radio era for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Mike,
That is great you were able to find a twin to your grandparents set!!!
It will be a wonderful feeling to get yours back to what it once wasIcon_clap

Congratulations!!!

Gene