Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco model 16

Yes. The right terminal of choke 96 looking at the chassis as mine is oriented in the photo. The left terminal is connected to the 80 recifier and also has a red wire going to one of the filter caps.

Sean
WØKPX

so resistor 81 is at this choke terminal too ?

Yes. That is the brown resistor with silver ends.

Sean
WØKPX

i'm not sure of the wiring of the electroyltics to the right 98 and 91

Cap 98 is the one closest to the power transformer of the two side-by-side electrolytic cans. There is a red wire that connects its center post to the left terminal of the filter choke 96. If you have the original 91 capacitor, it is wired as follows:
Blue terminal (positive of 8uF) connects to speaker socket via red wire.
Unpainted terminal (positive of 10uF) connects to chassis ground.
Case connects to case of cap 98, wire coming from power transformer connects to this point (center tap of HV winding).

Both caps 91 and 98 have the electrolytic negatives connected to the case. I am using 10uF 500V caps to replace the 8uF caps in 91 and 98 and a 10uF 50V cap to replace the 10uF section of cap 91.

Sean
WØKPX

i did lite it up again at 90 volts, i think now all the filaments lite , it seemed to to run safe on one of the electrolitics i changed one of the ones to 10 mfd to a new one ( 91 ) the other 98 still one from later re repair ( repair shop i guess ) plate voltages measured on 2 of them were low 2 and 7 volts .

wire from 42 plate ( one closest to chaissis edge goes directly to speaker plug it the wire has pretty old electrical tape on it , it must have been opened sometime in the past ,the capacitor terminal edge of no. 86 ( closest to wall is empty no wire on it , i guess i should reconnect it and then send wire to speaker does any one know insides of this bakelite block capacitor ?

someone also connected a paper capacitor mallory ( i can't tell value until i remove it ) from screen grid of 42 tube closest to edge to center terminal of capacitor 86 a resistor no. 85 10,000 ohms also is connected at this spot it starts at the screen grid of the other 42 tube

For info on the bakelite block wiring, check out Chuck's page on them: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/bblokcap.htm

That paper Mallory cap sounds like it is used to replace the cap inside of cap 86. It appears that my set is missing that capacitor and the associated 10k resistor. I'll have to investigate that further.

Sean
WØKPX

regarding part 71 bakelite block .15 on the listing at philco repair bench the letters on end of this part number don't have letter j on the end its connections on all 3 ( as shown in previous chaissis pictures ) dont resemble much the one drawing for this . has anyone ever opened this ( i dont have heat gun ) to fix this at least for the moment how would i wire new capacitors (is it 2 ) to this , if anyone has ever worked on this particular capacitor and would know how to wire new ones on to connections ( in the future i would perhaps properly open and place new ones inside ) but for now the best and safest way to wire replacement caps to these terminals as show in earlier photos

With tracing the wiring in my photo against the schematic, I come up with two 0.15uF caps. One lead of each cap is connected to terminal 1-2 (according to Chuck's site) which is the grounded terminal. The other leads are each connected to each of the other terminals. That is, one cap lead is connected to terminal 3 and the other to terminal 5.

Sean
WØKPX

for cap 68 with 3 terminals i'm wondering what to replace it with , also capacitor 75 and 66