Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco on TCM this morning!

Just happened to flip on the TV this morning and TCM was on. As I did, I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be Philco console in the old b/w movie that was on! Well this got my attention, so I watched more closely. It was shown several times in the scene, and one of the female stars actually goes over to it and turns it on. With the help of the fabulous Philco Gallery, I was able to identify it as being a 1936 model 680X! Consulting the TCM Now Playing magazine, I found the movie is titled "The Case of the Velvet Claws" (1936), starring such legendary names as Warren William, Claire Dodd, and Winifred Shaw. It's still on as I type this.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I love seeing vintage radios in old films, Columbia had an agreement with Zenith to feature their sets in Columbia pictures, thus the 3 Stogges usually have Zeniths in them when they need a radio. Product placement goes way back.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Hi Paul,
I also like to look for radios in old movies.
2 different models of Zenith are destroyed in this 3 Stooges short.
Stats at about 2:00 in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoyeBIHC7QA

"Christmas in July" (1940) has many sets in the first few minutes of the film. If it ever comes on like TCM be sure to check it out.
Unortunately, Youtube took off the full version.

Gary:
LOL at the 3 Stooges destroying that radio..